Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
31 year old male with night wetting problem
Anon_19625 posted:
My husband has been wetting the bed on and off for most of his life. When he was a teenager he was accussed of just being lazy and has not been back to the doctors since about that issue. His bed wetting has ruined several beds and couches and I am totally fed up with it. He likes to ignore the issue and recently it has been happening alot. I know as an adult this is very embarressing for him but we have two kids and another on the way and can keep finding his messes. I am so frustrated can anyone give me advice on this.
hairyd responded:
Buy him the adult diapers. If required you put them on him.
If this make he feel less than a MAN; he will go to a doctor.
If not it will save maney not having to buy beds and couches.
Life is to short to be frustrated. Depends will work. He should not be embrassed he can wear them like briefs.
You are fastest Sperm from your father....Stay HEALTH.....
MW_Smith_WebMD_Medical_Staff responded:
I can imagine the stress this must be putting on both you and your husband. Perhaps your first step is to let him know he's not alone. Bedwetting as an adult is probably more common than most people realize. About 2-3% of adults have the type of bed wetting that begins during childhood and doesn't go away. For comparison, how much do you hear about rheumatoid arthritis? A fair bit given that it's only 1% of the population! I have to admit it's even an issue we don't deal with enough on WebMD and partly because we don't hear that much about it from our users. They're ashamed and embarassed like your husband but they really have absolutely no reason to be. Please tell your husband that there is help out there and no doctor worth his weight is going to judge him for struggling with this problem. Causes are many but can include genetics (good chance he wouldn't know if either of his parents had this problem), a hormone issue, or even emotional problems (I know, that one might be tough for a man to accept but again, nothing to be embarrassed about!) Good luck. Sounds like both you and your husband need some help here and the great news is that there is help! Either start with your primary care doctor or call a urologist.

Dr. Smith
EdSutton_RPSGT replied to MW_Smith_WebMD_Medical_Staff's response:

As Dr Smith said go to your primary care MD, urologist. Consider asking for a referal to talk to a board certified Sleep Physican.

Bed wetting is called nocturnal enuresis and is coded as a sleep disorder. Both of you go see that Sleep Physican, wives are great historians for MD's trying to pry facts from closed mouthed husbands.

Medical diagnostics professionals with yours and your husbands cooperation, have a better chance of diagnosis of the cause and treatment.

Google American Academy of Sleep Medicine's website, it lists accredited Sleep Disorders Centers state by state
ruthandsid replied to MW_Smith_WebMD_Medical_Staff's response:
My cousin had this problem for years, he went to the Doctor and just had to take a pill every night before he went to bed.Now my grandson has the same problem so we are getting him an appt. with his doctor to get the same meds. I hope this has helped,
Sheldon Marks, MD responded:
My first thought is that he should see a urologist to see if he has any physical issues that might cause this problem, such as scarring in his urethra, an abnormal bladder, nerve issues, incomplete emptying, to name a few- that should be the first place to start. There are many possible causes and a complete urology evaluation is the most likely to find and treat the cause. I knew a doctor once that had the same problem- we worked him up and found that he had a scar at his bladder neck that was the cause- opened the scar and he was fine!

Helpful Tips

Similar situation, if I may recommend Mayo Clinic – search on dercum’s disease
I can relate to your frustration! I too was in a car accident and afterward ended up with some lumps appearing on my lower back in the area ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 7 found this helpful

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.