Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Painful ejaculation
    An_244927 posted:
    Okay, this is kind of embarassing, but here goes.. I'll start out by saying that I very recently had a physical, and nothing was wrong with my urine tests, the prostate exam went well (no signs of anything wrong), and she did find some very minor herniation on the left side when she checked. Basically, the physical went well and aside from some minor high blood pressure (for which I'm taking 25mg of Atenolol daily) and cholesterol issues, there was nothing else wrong. FWIW, these pains started a few months ago, before I begain medication.

    The problem is occasionally I'll get sharp pains in my penis when I ejaculate.. there is no pain whatsoever when I urinate, nor is urine flow particularly weak. It's not a burning pain, it feels more like a cramp or a charley horse, as wierd as that sounds. The pain varies in intensity, and I can't determine any factors that contribute to how much it hurts. I've also noticed that the quantity is somewhat reduced. It almost feels like there's a blockage or something, but if there was a blockage where the pain is (near the tip, in the shaft), wouldn't that affect urine flow as well?

    I plan to ask my doctor for a referral to a urologist sometime soon, but I was just curious as to what could cause this. What are some possible causes?

    ontbear responded:
    talk with your primary provider .... she will know if you should see an urologist
    dfromspencer responded:
    Did you ever hurt yourself there? As a child, perhaps? It may be nothing serious, but you deffinately need to have an Urologist check it out.

    Urin comes from the bladder, semen comes from your testicles. So, the answer to that question is probably no.

    Ask the Urologist if the herniation could be the cause? I have a hernia, but it does not make my penis cramp, or hurt in any way.

    Good luck, and keep us informed, Dennis

    Helpful Tips

    Discharge from Penis(Penile Discharge)
    Penile discharge is the abnormal loss of fluid that is not urine or semen from the urethra (urine tube) at the tip of the penis. It is ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.