Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Painful ejaculation
An_244927 posted:
Okay, this is kind of embarassing, but here goes.. I'll start out by saying that I very recently had a physical, and nothing was wrong with my urine tests, the prostate exam went well (no signs of anything wrong), and she did find some very minor herniation on the left side when she checked. Basically, the physical went well and aside from some minor high blood pressure (for which I'm taking 25mg of Atenolol daily) and cholesterol issues, there was nothing else wrong. FWIW, these pains started a few months ago, before I begain medication.

The problem is occasionally I'll get sharp pains in my penis when I ejaculate.. there is no pain whatsoever when I urinate, nor is urine flow particularly weak. It's not a burning pain, it feels more like a cramp or a charley horse, as wierd as that sounds. The pain varies in intensity, and I can't determine any factors that contribute to how much it hurts. I've also noticed that the quantity is somewhat reduced. It almost feels like there's a blockage or something, but if there was a blockage where the pain is (near the tip, in the shaft), wouldn't that affect urine flow as well?

I plan to ask my doctor for a referral to a urologist sometime soon, but I was just curious as to what could cause this. What are some possible causes?

ontbear responded:
talk with your primary provider .... she will know if you should see an urologist
dfromspencer responded:
Did you ever hurt yourself there? As a child, perhaps? It may be nothing serious, but you deffinately need to have an Urologist check it out.

Urin comes from the bladder, semen comes from your testicles. So, the answer to that question is probably no.

Ask the Urologist if the herniation could be the cause? I have a hernia, but it does not make my penis cramp, or hurt in any way.

Good luck, and keep us informed, Dennis

Helpful Tips

Jock itch remedy
Hello! I was suffering from Jock Itch for about 5 months. I tried many anti fungal cream but they doesn't seem to work and further more, ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.