Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Question about my husband's health.
34Bamagirl posted:
Here for the past several months he has been belching constantly almost like he is making his self belch. It is constant and he complains with gas constantly building up on his stomach. He is on Nexium 40mg for Acid Reflux and has been on it for 2 years or more. I am beginning to think that Acid Reflux is not the problem and that there might be more t it. What would cause this much gas to be on a stomach that one could constantly belch and still not get relief?

Anon_527 responded:
Has he tried a product specifically for gas like Gas-X or Bean-O?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi 24Bamagirl,

Has he seen a doctor about this? If he has but it's been a while, it sounds like it's time to return for more answers. Encourage him to see his doctor.

In the meantime, click here to check his symptoms to look for more information.

Let us know how things go for him.

34Bamagirl replied to Anon_527's response:
He is actually on Nexium 40mg daily and also has been taking an OTC as well. He has been to the doctor and she said he had acid reflux and a hernia and an ulcer but, she also put him on Carafate 1gm. He also had some messed up disks in his back but as far as actually doing anything to fix problems, it seems as though some of it has got worse. He changed doctors and the new doctor said on the blood work that he did, that he had some kind of infection somewhere but he did not care what kind of infection it was or where it was and then put my husband on two antibiotics. He was on anxiety medicine because it was putting his anxiety level at the top but when he changed doctors, his new one refused to put him back on it. So, now we are searching for a new doctor in our area that may can help us figure out what is going on. Unfortunately we do not have insurance and have to pay out of pocket which has cost us alot ad still he seems to be developing more problems. To answer your question, he has tried gas-x, pepto bismol, and a few other that the pharmasist has referred to him but nothing is working. He actually went to the hospital one time for it thinking he was having a heart attack because he was showing all the signs of one and they gave him a prostate exam instead and sent him home. It is really ridiculous how they come up with all these diagnoses and put him on medication and symptoms get worse. This battle has been going on for about 4 years total and I am afraid it is going to kill him if we dont get a correct answer soon.He is 35 years old and doctors around here seem to think he is too young for these problems but sickness does not know an age.

34Bamagirl replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you as well for your response. If you will read the response I gave to Anon_527 above, you can see what we have been battling with. It has been a nightmare. See what you think from that post that I replied to. I appreciate anyone's help and information that can be shared. My husband is suppose to try and go to another doctor tomorrow. I will definately keep ya'll posted and thanks again for your concern.

Anon_21189 replied to 34Bamagirl's response:
When someone suffers from acid reflux it's because there is too little acid in the stomach, so when you take those pills designed to lessen the acid in the stomach you make things worse.

Why not do some searches on the internet and add the word(s) natural or homeopathic? And don't be afraid to discuss it with your doctor too, especially because they have him on medications. You can even go into an organic/natural store and talk with someone. They usually have very knowledgeable people in there to answer questions.

It just seems as though your getting the run around, spending a lot of money, and not getting anywhere.

PsPups responded:
Sometimes grandmas old remedies are better than all these pills they dole out today. I am thinking about 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water daily, preferably morning. I read somewhere these pills actually create more problems than they fix, making more acid or just suppressing the cause. Tell your husband to rinse his mouth out well after drinking the vinegar and water because it can cause browning/staining of teeth. Just a suggestion, apple cider vinegar certainly won't hurt him.

Is your husband overweight? You did not say.

clipper1956 replied to Anon_21189's response:
disagree about taking ppi's causiing more stomach acid. When I was a child and burped up acid all day and had indigestion and thought I was having a heart attack and the ppi's didn't exist nothing, I mean nothing even grandmothers vinegar or baking soda helped me until ppi's came along and now I can eat normal food and not have these attacks.

An_246602 responded:
We have been told by a naturopath that dairy can cause lots of gas and have most certainly found that to be the case. My husband has a similar issue and if he drinks milk or eats cheese or ice-cream, it is most definitely bad for him.

Anon_21189 replied to clipper1956's response:
@clipper, that's not what I said. Please re-read.

I've read that eating an apple at night can help. Just a matter of finding which kind of apple works for you. I've not tried this so don't know it's efficacy.

Does your husband smoke? For years I suffered big time, but after I quit smoking that was one of the differences I noticed. It was substantial.

I have a very sensitive stomach and have to be mindful of the things I eat. Between sour stomach, bloating, or reflux. Then there's anxiety that can contribute also.

Usually my go to's are Fennel seed or Ginger. Ginger more for the sour stomach. Fennel for bloating. Fennel seed can be found at the grocery store in the spice isle. It is a small seed, you eat a pinch of them. Or you can buy it in a capsule. Ginger can be found in capsule, but also Ginger Ale (drink) or ginger you eat.

Probably the saving grace will be found somewhere in his diet though. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Yoga and Aging
I'm a female who has found that yoga really helps prevents the aches and pains as I age. My body feels very young and I am 51! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.