Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Umbilical Hernia
An_246853 posted:
I have had an umbilical hernia repaired 10 months ago. I had always exercise, especially in the stomach area, I am scared to do sit ups, do not want to tear what was repaired. Is it OK to do sit ups? I do numerous exercises, but hesitant about messing up the repair, but, also concerned about my mid section getting bigger, I am use to doing sit ups, since my procedure, I have not. Please help. Thank you

hookares responded:
Hope somebody steps forward with some information. I have been considering having the same operation, but have been hesitant to do so given the numbers of invitations to join class action suits against doctors whose operations didn't hold up.
I'm left to wonder just how LAWYERS choose to address their problems when their digestive track protrudes from their belly?

ruasbizze2 replied to hookares's response:
hookares - I had this surgery/repair done several years ago and like you have spent time on a regular basis in the gym or similar situation. I never was good at situps as Anon posted , but have liked doing core strengthening exercises.and within a couple months of the surgery was able to resume my usual routine.
The old saying of "if it hurts, stop - if it feels "good" keep doing it. Start small and get more agressive as you feel more confident.
Ambulance chasers(lawyers) are out there to make a buck so unless you have a person you trust, or is close to you that had a surgery go bad...get it taken care of and follow the surgeons instructions afterwards. Discuss everything you have a concern about from resuming sexual activites to participating in some athletics.

Sheldon Marks, MD replied to ruasbizze2's response:
The surgeon that did your umbilical hernia repair should give you very clear advice as to when it is acceptable to resume normal activity as well as vigorous exercise as you described. You should follow these recommendations. In my experience usually we tell people to wait 6 to 8 to 12 weeks at the most so you should be fine...But I wasn't there and don't know your specific situation door the recommendations. You should go back to your doctor and asked specifically what exercises you should or should not do it if there's any restrictions whatsoever. Bring a list of the specific exercises you want to do so you can get clearance to go ahead. Be aware that no hernia repair is perfect or can last forever and that even if done correctly sometimes they can return and that's just the nature of having the weakened tissues there.

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.