Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is there something wrong with my heart?
JEllison90 posted:
I'm 22 years old and 268lbs. I try to exercise whenever I can and am trying to switch to a healthier lifestyle. Last week I had a sprain in my upper back that was had a shooting pain going from there to what felt like my sternum. After a couple days that passed and my asthma kicked in. I don't have asthma meds except for an expired inhaler form of primatene mist. I took that and ever since then my heart has been more rapid that usually. Cases I've noticed
1.) When lying down my heart rate(HR) is going between 62-88 on average.
2.) When getting up to go from one end of our house to another my HR tends to be in the 90-110 region(our house is not that big)
3.) Today I ran for one minute, first time in about a month and my HR was at 170 when I stopped. I felt just fine but I recall my HR ever being that high after one minute of running, the norm was 120-130 if I recall correctly. Last year when I was serious about getting in shape I could run for 10 mins straight. Then winter kicked in and I stopped until it warmed up again.

I went to an urgent care facility since i don't have health insurance and they did an ekg and blood work on me. Both came back normal. The blood was used to test thyroid levels, and if my organs were functioning properly, namely my kidney and liver. I've been scheduled to see a cardiologist to see if that will tell me something but at this point I'm starting to wonder something. I've never had any dizziness, fatigue(due to boredom yes but not my body), or shortness of breathe outside of my asthma issue that ended this Monday just passed. Is there really anything wrong with me outside of just being out of shape? Am I just imagining things? Or is there something wrong that an ekg and blood work can't tell me? There is no history of any health problems in my family besides asthma on my mom's side. To be perfectly honest the only time I paid attention to my heart beat is when I'm running. Maybe my mind is just overly focused on things right now. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Polfsky responded:
Wish you the best. Hope your doctor can advise you something helpful to address your health issue.

I had trouble with heart palpitation before due to hyperactive thyroid. It's been treated and now normal except occasionally. So I know how anxious you feel.

JEllison90 replied to Polfsky's response:
Thanks Polfsky, I'm hoping it's nothing serious that would require some kinda of surgery. This just makes it that much more obvious that I need to start taking my health a lot more seriously than I do now.

Polfsky replied to JEllison90's response:
Keep us posted. Hope to hear good news from you.

Yah, you can take this as a wake-up call to take health seriously. It's never too late.

My coworker was in very bad shape in his mid 30s and started getting serious about diet and exercise. Now he's almost 60 and one of healthiest guy I know.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. My appointment is tomorrow thankfully. Things have most certainly died down for me since yesterday. Hopefully I can but this to rest and get on with life.

Just came back from the doctor's by that point everything was fine. Doctor said I was more that likely just imagining things. My heart rate was actually said to be pretty good for someone with my figure. They gave me a HR monitor to give that final seal on the bill of health.

Awesome news. Hope you stay healthy and achieve your health goal.

I had those times too when the symptoms of hyperthyroidism seemed to come back. Went to the doctor and got the same results--everything normal.

Our body (or mind) can be weird sometimes.

I hope so to. Got a new pair of running shoes and went for a 30 min interval cardio session. Felt pretty good. The doctor said the same thing along the lines of things may come back. Cutting out caffeine, chocolate, doing aerobics, and no smoking are no problems at all since I don't like to many caffeine beverages, chocolate makes my teeth hurt, I'm plenty motivated to do the training, and I don't smoke. He proscribed me aethenol if things got uncomfortable for me. And I hear you on the weirdness of the human body thing. Lol if I didn't become a comp sci major I may have gone to med school.

Good for you. Keep it up!

I notice I get symptoms when I eat oily or high sodium foods. So it's good to try to detect what makes you feel sick.

I majored in CIS (Computer Info Systems) similar to comp sci. Now been working for 11 years.

Thanks for the good wishes. I've been monitoring my food since the tests. Seems like foods I should stay away from are similar to those I avoid due to asthma. Greasy, high fat, high sodium, etc.Now I can worry about the jobs I interviewed for calling me back with offers. Thanks again Polfsky for the help!

Helpful Tips

Yoga and Aging
I'm a female who has found that yoga really helps prevents the aches and pains as I age. My body feels very young and I am 51! More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.