Skip to content
Thyroid Problem, Underactive Hypothyroid on Levothyroxine Synthyroid
Ayuda01 posted:
Thanks for helping me out to begin....

To start I am a 24yo Caucasian Male.

My doctor had told me my thyroid is "slightly" underactive and he recommend i take 0.05mg of Levo, which i took for about 4-5months and then my blood tests came back at an elevated TSH (i think T4) and so he put me on 0.025mg of Levo.

I spoke with my cousin who is an RN about taking natural supplements, and she actually takes, Gaia Thyroid Support and NOW Thyroid Energy and says that her levels appear to be stable.

My concern is that my hair is thinning and falling out from Levo presumably. MD's and Healthcare providers are unaware of this and my doctor/dermatologist both say its male pattern baldness. But about 7 months ago i had a full head of hair and now its very thin and you can see the scalp with some patches missing. I am convinced it is the drug because my scalp is somewhat irritated too. (I also read plenty articles that say doctors are unaware of the effect of synthetic thyroid meds on hairloss).

My worry is that if i get off levo it will cause my hair to fall our at a more rapid pace, is that anything to be worried about? Did it convert any chemicals in my body that wont revert back to their original nature? I spoke with my doctor and he said It is fine if i want to get off levo and try it out (I did try not taking it for about 1 week and my body felt sluggish) so i am going to try this natural supp. remedy and see how it works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ayuda,

I encourage you to repost your message on our Thyroid Disorders Community . The members there will likely have some input to your specific questions.

Helpful Tips

sex talk
my bf and i can't have sex together. he can get an erection but he can't ejaculate. for long time i thought it was me but with on going ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.