Skip to content
Bulging discs - Pain in lower left back - Tight leg muscles ???
love2feelgood posted:
I have well over a year history of this persistent pain in my lower left back. I'm 29 years old and I'm active. I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs. I exercise regularly and have always had good posture.

I have been diagnosed with degenerative and bulging L1/2 discs. I have recently received an epidural injection, which has relieved pain around the spine. The pain that I have been experiencing every day for well over a year still persists.

The pain (more like an ache) is always on the left side

I can go to sleep with very little pain, but then wake up a few hours later with that area aching. I will then likely wake up several times after that with the same ache. This happens frequently.

It seems there's less chance of it aching when I keep my body as straight as possible while sleeping. It seems to ache more when my legs curl.

I can gain relief when I massage or press hard on the psoas and other hip flexors.

Stretching the leg muscles seems to help - and I've definitely gained more flexibility over the weeks I've been doing this - but it doesn't provide any long term or permanent relief.

The center of my back generally only hurts when it's hunched forward for a bit, otherwise it's relatively pain free.

It seems the pain/aching in my lower left back is somehow associated with tight or short muscles. I'm wondering how the bulging discs would cause this and if I can find permanent relief in this area.

I've had an MRI and have been seen by an orthopedic doctor, an osteopathic doctor (epidural injection), two physical therapists and even a chiropractor. None of them have provided sustained relief and the physical therapy might have only made things worse.

Any ideas? 4 to 5 hours of sleep with intermittent pain every night for the past year has been quite unpleasant. I need to find a fix. I've accepted the degenerative and bulging discs for what they are. What I desire is to remedy this aching in the lower left back that seems to be attributed to tight or short muscles.

Thanks!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Love2feelgood,

While you're waiting for responses here, I encourage you to also post on our Pain Management community for more input.

love2feelgood replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you! I will do that.

I just hope to get responses where I can. I feel like I'm running out of options.

Helpful Tips

sex talk
my bf and i can't have sex together. he can get an erection but he can't ejaculate. for long time i thought it was me but with on going ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.