Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Long Story, But I'll Try And Make It Short
fireman1128 posted:
I am a 28 year old career firefighter of 8 years. Until recently, the only medication I've taken has been allergy shots. About 3 months ago I was studying for a new certification but was unable to concentrate and retain the information. I went to my family dr. to try to get prescribed adderall for the few months I was in this class. That was the beginning of the snowball effect.

I took an ADD test and come to find out, I actually have ADHD. He did some extensive blood work and asked me a few hundred questions that I answered all honestly. So here is my new list of diagnosis':

Sleep Apnea
ADHD
Low Testosterone (209)
Vitamin D Deficiency (he said I pretty much have none, I'm not vegan)
Bad Allergies
85% Hearing Loss Left Ear (above average hearing in right ear)
Degenerative Disc Disease

New Medications (he said he will be adding testosterone later)
Vyvanse 50mg (daily)
Lexapro 10mg (daily)
Flonase (daily)
Allergy Shots (every other day)
Vitamin D 50,000mg (weekly)
Centrum For Men Vitamin (daily)

I am still in shock of all my test results and new medication list. My wife would tell you I'm the kind of guy who won't even take advil when I have a headache because I want to be tough. Now I carry a bad of medicine with me to the station every third day.

I'm not really surprised by my low testosterone level. For about the last year or two, my sex drive has plummeted. It has taken a toll on my marraige. We have two girls, a 5 year old and a 20 month old. My wife thinks that I'm unhappy with her and doesn't believe me when I tell her she's beautiful. She was actually happy with my test results and can't wait till I get back to my old self (with the help of my new meds and the Good Lord, I can't wait either).

I am exhausted all the time and my dr. said that was due to my low t and sleep apnea. I will be taking my sleep study this week and I hope CPAP helps me as good as everyone makes it out to be. No matter how much sleep I get, I always wake up tired and usually stay tired throughout the day. Caffeine helped in the past, but not anymore. I'm ashamed to say, but I'll drink 2-3 cups of coffee and 2-3 Monsters a day.

I've been taking my Vyvanse for about 2 months (started at 40mg, went to 50mg a week ago) and it helps but for only about the first 4 hours. I take it with food at around 7am. My dr. told me the benefits would be better after I get on my CPAP machine. He said that my body is always in a state of exhaustion and without quality sleep, nothing would get me to 100%.

This had all been a lot to take in. But I guess deep down, I knew that there were some things wrong in my body (especially in the past year or two).

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm throwing this out there to see if anyone has been diagnosed the same and to get opinions to see if I'm on the right track of treatment. My dr. says in a month or two, I should feel like a brand new man. Lord willing.

Me
28 Year Old - Male
5' 8"
220 lbs
Big Build
Dip Snuff (I know I should quit)
Alcohol every now and again

Past Surgeries
Tonsillectomy (1992)
Discectomy (2002 / L5-S1)
Appendectomy (2004)

Family History
Sleep Apnea (mother, grandfather-mothers side)
ADHD (mother)
Allergies (whole family)
Pituitary Tumur (brother at age 12)

Take the Poll

There is a 4000 character max. Should I have went ahead and used the remaining 789 characters?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

Polfsky responded:
Whoa, sorry to hear about your diagnoses. That must come as a shock to you considering you're young and active (I assume all firefighters are).

I'm probably in no position to give expert advice but do hope you "feel like a new man" soon as your doctor promised.

I had hyperactive thyroid before and that caused me to be constantly tired even when laying down in bed and doing nothing, and that was a devastating time for me. So I know how you feel. Thank God that after some medication (2 years), my thyroid is normal again and I'm off medication.

Wish you the best! is all I can say.

fireman1128 replied to Polfsky's response:
Thanks, ya...it was a pretty big shock. Good to hear that you are back to normal with your thyroid. Another fireman friend of mine had the same issue and I know how much it effected him before he got it fixed with medication. I did a lot of research before my blood work came back and I thought that might be one of my problems. The blood work showed that my thyroid was fine.

Thanks for the reply.

fireman1128 responded:
Anybody else have any thoughts or suggestions? I kinda figured my post would get at least a couple of replies.

I did my sleep study two nights ago and had a hard time sleeping. I only slept for about 2 or 3 hours. They told me that I didn't have sleep apnea but that I just snore real loud all night. Now I don't know what to think. I didn't sleep my normal sleep during the sleep study so I don't know if that would effected the results. I have a appointment with my doc next week to go over the results in detail.

fireman1128 responded:
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think this will be my first and last post in a medical forum.

dfromspencer replied to fireman1128's response:
Hi Fireman

I sicerely hope this is not your first and last time here. This site however, is not the one you should have posted all of youur problems on. If you are having problems sleeping, try the "Sleep Disorders" site. There are alot more people there that have your problem. Please give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

I am sorry to hear of all your problems. I hope the medication works well for you.

Good luck, Dennis

Helpful Tips

after 50
GIVE your other half $100 AND ASK FOR A PAIR Of SOX go and sit on the Lani and with a beer in hand or scotch in hand enjoy the hour (or ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.