Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sperm Color
An_248470 posted:
Hi,

I have noticed that my sperm color has always been slightly yellow.
I'm wondering if there's any problems with that, and what are the causes.

Thanks so much for the help.

Anon_129334 responded:
Unless you are looking with a microscope, it's not your sperm you are seeing, but rather the combination of sperm (less than 1%) and semen (99%). The semen is produced by the prostate gland, and its color, smell, taste, consistency are determined by your diet, age, frequency of ejaculation, etc. There could be cause for concern, as the normal color is milky-white. See the following website at the Mayo Clinic:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/discolored-semen/AN00779

Doctor Todd B. Nippoldt, M.D. answers the question with this information:
Semen color and consistency can vary based on several factors, such as age, diet and frequency of ejaculation. However, yellowish-green semen may indicate a prostate infection. Semen is normally a whitish, cloudy fluid. It's usually quite thick just after ejaculation, but liquefies about 20 to 30 minutes later.
Changes in the appearance of semen are usually temporary and not a health concern. However, sometimes these changes can be a sign of an underlying medical condition that requires further evaluation. If these changes persist for longer than a week or two or if the color change is associated with other symptoms such as pain, fever, sexual dysfunction or blood in the urine, see your doctor for an evaluation.
Abnormal semen color or consistencyPossible medical causeYellow, green or goldProstate infectionYellow-tintedUrine in the semenThick, lumpy or jelly-likeMale hormone deficiencyPink, red or dark brownBleeding from the prostate

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.