Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is Aging Optional?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
Aching joints, weight gain, loss of energy…Most people think that problems like these are inevitable with aging. But what if I told you that roughly 70% of "standard" American aging is optional? It's NOT a relentless tide. We now have a whole new understanding of the basic cellular mechanisms involved with aging, way down at the molecular level. And the stunning news from the front lines of science is that you have a choice. You can choose to become functionally younger by years, even decades, by making changes in how you live. These changes, not so surprisingly, involve exercise, nutrition, and your emotional health.

If you've let things slide for a while, you might be wondering if it's too late, if there's too much water under the bridge -- or maybe too many calories. Not at all! Studies have shown that your body can renew itself all the way into your 90s if you work hard enough to maintain physical function, and if you stay socially, emotionally, and intellectually engaged. This is the way to becoming Younger Next Year , and next decade.

Let's start with a few questions for you:
How do you want to live your life in your 70s? How about in your 80s?
In what ways have you aged that you're most interested in turning around? Will you commit to some good, old-fashioned work to make those turn-arounds happen?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Dr. Lodge and welcome to WebMD's Men's Health community!

I'm looking forward to seeing how our members respond to your questions.

An_248745 responded:
What if I am ALREADY 70? Is this like closing the barn
door after the horse managed to get out????

Julie67 responded:
Ways I have aged that I would like to turnaround...
unexpected aches and pains,
weight gain,
lack of energy.

Billy99Bob responded:
I am almost 71. I am currently making changes that I hope will give me many more years of healthy living.
I want to be active (play golf, travel, etc.) but mostly I just want to "feel good".

An_248749 responded:
What are the turn-around tips? Certainly worth reading. Already do spin classes -- about 18 miles in 50 minutes. I'm 66.

welshozzie responded:
I am very keen to live as long as I can with good health. 3 years ago I had an injury at work resulting in RSD/CRPS of my right foot. This is very painful at times worse than others. Prior to this event i used to cycle walk play basket ball chase my Grandchildren play ball games etc. I was very fit. I have now gained weight and am unable to stay on my feet for too long. I also injured my back, shoulder and neck at the same as my foot. I have bought a Wii to assist me with balance etc. I would like to have any advice to assist me in getting my fitness back to a respectable level. I have also lost tone in my leg.
Thank you
ps I am 59 years old, 5foot 4 inches tall and weigh 156 lbs

welshozzie replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi
I am 59 years old and would like all the help available to live healthily. 3 years ago had an injury to my foot resulting in RSD/CRPS which is very painful. I have now lost tone in my leg and am finding excersise more difficult. I am 5ft 4ins and weigh 156 lbs, a gain of 18lbs since the accident. I also have neck,shoulder and back pain.
I welcome any advice
Thankyou
Stephie

welshozzie replied to welshozzie's response:
Silly me I thought I had lost my reply??????? I am a newey

davedsel57 responded:
Aging as defines as getting older is not optional as long as we are alive. Being healthier as we age is an option we should all strive for.

I have made mistakes in my taking care of myself over the 55 years I have spent on this earth. My health conditions are listed in my profile. Wisdom does come with age in many cases, and I am trying to make wiser choices in my diet and activities.

First, I hope I see my 70's and 80's. Second, when I get there I hope I can have my health issues well under control. I am committed now, more than ever, to put the work in that will hopefully yield the results I need.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

minna responded:
I am 56. I am gaining weight.I am 5feet. my weight is 170 pounds.
I am allergic to pensilin group and sulpher group. I get red big spots on my whole body. specially on lower part of my bodye-g thighs and back side of legs..on upper body in small spots.

My right shoulder is jamed. I am unable to touch across my head and back. kindly reply

jcsilverfox replied to Julie67's response:
am male, 86 years old, 5 feet 8inches tall and weigh 148 pounds. i do not have an ache or pain and the only medication i take if lipitor. i play golf 3 times a week and my handicap is an honest 18. i say this not to brag but only to tell you that i attribute my good health to advise my dentist gave me 50 years ago. he told me because the mouth is the dirtiest area of the body it will be responsible for most germs entering the bloodstream which will make me sick. he said i can prevent that by having healthy gums that do not bleed. if the gums do not bleed there is no way the germs can enter the bloodstream through the mouth. to get healthy gums i should get an electric toothbrush and after brushing my teeth massage the gums with the brush for as long as it took me to brush my teeth. this will keep the gums healthy and will stop the bleeding. i have done this for the last 50 years and attribute it to my good health

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.