Skip to content
Movember 2012!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Are you taking part in Movember this year to help raise awareness for men's cancers?

How are you at growing a moustache or beard?

dfromspencer responded:
Hi, Caprice

As you know, I lost my best friend to cancer, just recently. I am all for cancer awareness in both sexes.

I used to have a moustache when i was younger, but i gave up on keeping it trimmed. I now shave my face from nose to neck. No more moustache for me! I never could grow a full beard, some spots just would not grow hair, so it looks funny. I did try the goatee, for awhile. Facial hair is just NOT for me.

Thanks Caprice, take care, Dennis

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hi Dennis,

I don't think I've had the chance yet to say how sorry I am for your loss. I know how close you two were and know how much my own best friend means to me. My heart hurts for you.

I like this whole 'Movember' thing because it's a great visual reminder to us all that, as we are inundated with other health causes (often for women), men are facing their own challenges.

dfromspencer replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you sooooo much, Caprice! Its getting better by the day. At least i don't cry as often. And now, i can laugh at some of the memories. I miss him, terribly! There are still times, i pick up the phone to call, or text him, before it dawns on me. Eventually, i will have to delete his phone numbers. I can't bring myself to do that, as yet.

After reading your post, i decided to do my part. I am attempting to grow a mustache. Its not very long yet, but its comming. To be honest tho, i can't wait to shave it off. LOL I have grown accostomed to my naked face, as ugly as it is. LOL

Thank you, for being such a good friend to me! Take care.

Dennis

I have lost very good friends over the years and still have their email addresses, FB pages, phone numbers in my systems. There's no rush on these things. I'm glad you're already able to laugh at some of the memories. Those will always be with you.

LOL re the mustache! Good luck with that! And hey, at least you tried.

Hi, Caprice

I had to at least try. I still have a couple of weeks to go, it might look pretty good by then? I will still shave it come the thirtieth.

Yes, that can wait. I dread the day i can bring myself to delete his numbers. That, seems so final, you know? Hopefully, when i do, it won't be so bad? I have not been able to visit Joe's gravesite. I want to, but i can't seem to make myself do it? I don't understand that, at all? I really want to, i just cannot. Each time i try, i just sit there by the gate, in my car, i don't even get out. What is wrong with me? He is my best friend, i have to! I'm going out there, right now, and i will go visit him!

Talk to you later, Caprice. Thanks for all your help!

D.

You'll get there, D. Grieving never happens in a straight line and it's always at your own pace. There is no 'should'. Be patient with yourself and with the process.

There you are at the gate and that's further than some get so early in it all. Did you get to his gravesite yet? If so, I hope it helped you as you go through this. If not, it's okay. You will one day.

But, so much more importantly, you were there for him while he was on this earth. He knew that and I hope YOU knowing that brings you comfort.

dfromspencer replied to dfromspencer's response:
Well, i did it. I went and saw Joe's gravesite. I cried the whole time i talked to him. I am thankful i did it. The next time won't be so hard, i hope?

The moustache is lookin pretty good. I got a compliment from a lady on it. She tells me i look good with it. Should i keep it? Or go back to the way i like it? Clean shaven. If it helps me attract women, maybe i should keep it, for a while, at least?

Any suggestions, would be appreciated.
D. ;.)

Sorry I didn't get back here until now to read your post, Dennis.

I'm glad you made it to Joe's gravesite. It sounds like it was healing for you.

Re the moustache... hey, whatever works for you.

Hi, Caprice

Please don't be sorry, you are very busy. Everyone gets very busy after the holiday. I hope thats right? The next time i visit with Joe, should be a little easier. I really do think it helped.

As for this moustache? I don't know? I recieved another compliment on it, i think? I was talking to a younger lady, and told her i was doing it for cancer awareness for men. She said she liked it. So, i don't know if she liked the moustache, or that i was doing it for cancer awareness? Ah well.

I don't know, Caprice, should i keep it cause others like it, or, shave it cause thats how i like it? In a song, i cannot remember which one, but it said "You've got to please yourself". Hmmm? I think i just got my answer? I will be shaving it off come Dec. 1st. There is too much gray in it for my liking. And i am not one to use colors, or dyes. So, off it goes.

Thanks for everything, Caprice! You're the best!

Dennis

I have to agree with that song... if you like yourself more without the whiskers, go ahead and shave them off once the month is over. But hey, it sounds like it's getting you some positive attention in the meantime so use the opportunities to make some new friends.

davedsel57 responded:
I have just read through all the replies in this thread.

Dennis, I am so sorry for your loss. I pray for comfort and peace for you as you continue to grieve and adjust.

I have a full beard and mustache almost all the time. I could not grow decent facial hair until I was 43 years old 12 years ago - and that was only because my asthma was so bad for a few years I was on high doses of steroids. It took time for me to adjust to that, but now I think I look better with facial hair than without. I keep it well trimmed. I used to die it using various products but it is too much of a hassle and mess. I also am on warfarin (anti-coagulant medication) and have been since April 1997. I do have a very nice electric shaver but still prefer the facial hair.

I have been blessed to never experience prostate cancer. I have, however, had my share of bouts of prostatitis and that is not a pleasant experience at all. My father-in-law has it and is now 89 years old. His doctor said it is a very minor form and something else would kill him before the prostate cancer. From what I understand it is generally a very treatable form of cancer.

Great discussion.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Hi, Caprice

Thank you for the advice! I have met a couple of guys, i really liked, but they live so far away. One in Muscatine, the other in Des. Moines. No ladies, as yet. That won't stop me from trying, tho. My special lady is out there, somewhere, and i am going to find her. Its just a matter of time.

Yep, the stache has got to go. There is just way too much grey for my liking. And the thought of trimming it all the time, is a huge turn off. Its easier to run the shaver over my face, than it is to trim around something.

I know there is alot of women out there, that like a moustashe. I hope the woman of my dreams doesn't require one? There are some women out there, that do not like kissing a catapillar. LOL!

dfromspencer replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi, Dave

Thank you for those kind words! It has been awhile now, and i grieve less and less every day. I count Joe as a blessing in my life. I would not be where i am, if not for him. He was a true friend.

Dave, i am sorry for all the ills you suffer! I am glad you don't have prostate cancer. Luckily, i don't suffer with that either. My father is 88, he suffers with prostititis, along with other ills. I hope he lives a lot longer.

Good luck, Dave! Thanks again for those kind words.

Dennis

dfromspencer replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hi, all.

I did it! The moustache is gone.

Going to stop by Joes grave today. Kinda lookin forward to it. Thats the first time i've felt that way, a good sign? Hope so.

Take care!

D.

Helpful Tips

semen color
past few days i noticed my semen color change yellowish from white. is it any serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.