Skip to content
Do You Use This Excuse?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
The most common excuse I hear for not exercising every day, or even four times a week, is that it is tough to fit exercise time into our busy modern lives. But that is just the problem -- we think in terms of "fitting it in" -- which automatically demotes exercise to an optional activity, rather than a core piece of living our best lives. When patients tell me that their lives are too hectic to exercise, I point out that the data are clear -- their lives are actually too busy for them to put up with sitting still. The fit version of you is more motivated, effective, and sharper — in some studies by about 10-15%. So you either get 10-15% more done during a day, or what you get done is 10-15% better quality, and you have energy left over to enjoy your family, friends, and life at the end of a busy work day. If that sounds good to you, then exercise is a mandate, not a luxury. For many busy people, morning exercise is best, because you get it out of the way before anything can knock it off track. But the most important thing is to simply pick a regular routine and stick with it. Many people find that a personal trainer or class-based exercise, works well, because there is a starting time, and once you show up you are guaranteed to stay for the whole workout. Whatever works for you, the key is to decide that it is a fundamental part of your life, and not a frivolous add-on.

MelissaD1970 responded:
My husband says he cant exercise due to his chronic back problems. he cannot sit/stand/walk for more that 20-30 minutes without having severe pain. not supposed to stoop, bend, no vibration, no ladders, etc..

Helpful Tips

sex talk
my bf and i can't have sex together. he can get an erection but he can't ejaculate. for long time i thought it was me but with on going ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.