Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Non Specific Urethritis Concerns
    Tim23 posted:
    I have had a urinary infection on three different occasions after straight unprotected vaginal sex in the last 2 years. Each time I am tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea and it comes back negative, each time am diagnosed with non specific urethritis. I have been recently tested at the health department for other Stds and I came back clear. The doctor always acts like it is nothing but I am very concerned...I am in a monogamous relationship and I want to have a healthy sex life with her and this is very alarming to me.

    Anyone else out there having these problems and any tips on what I can do to prevent this from continuing? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
    Namon responded:
    I had the same problem years ago. The woman that I was with had a bad yeast infection. Like you, I was clear of stds and everything else. Still the symtoms were quite painful and irritable. Perhaps your mate needs to be checked and treated for a yeast infection. Maybe that will help.
    rickg45238 responded:
    I would try urinating after sex. I've heard that can hel; it flushes out any bacteria, etc
    davidgavami responded:
    I am glad this email was sent to me so I can give a piece of my kind.
    I had this medical issue since I was 15 years old, I am 57 now, and all thrueough my adulthood until about 20 years ago.
    I went precisely through what you have been through. I was given antibiotics every time and it went away and agian it came back after sex. I was not in a monogamous relationship and I always blamed it on the women I had sex with.

    Finally, a urologist at UCLA decide to perform, I believe it is called endoscopy, to look inside for any anomolies. The procedure was very painful, despite application of anethetic jell. While he was performing the procedure an exteremely sharp and painful sensation occured during which I actully screamed. After the precedure was over he told me he didn't see anything but there was an OBSTRUCTION in my urinary track which was cleared by the instrument while he was going inside to look, and that was most likely the cause of frequent onset of NSU. He wanted me to wait until all the blood was drained by urinating and that was what exactly occured. He also gave me some pills to heal the scars on the inside urinary track. I was fine in one day after that.
    The NSU never came back.
    Please ask your urologist to perform that procedure and good luck to you.
    Tim23 replied to davidgavami's response:
    Thanks for all the responses.

    I gave blood a few weeks ago and was tested to see if I had reiter syndrome and just found out it is also clear. This has happened after sex with different people so I doubt it would be yeast, but anything is possible. The nurse told me to finish the scripts (doxy and prednisone) and if I have any more problems to come back. I have since finished the scripts 4 days ago and yesterday I feel a "tingle" and I feel like I will be making another appointment to see the Dr.
    KenWayne responded:
    Hi Tim,

    I am having a problem that sounds very similar. For the past year or so, I have frequent discomfort in my urethra, and my opening of my urethra is often inflamed and irritated. One of the two sides of the opening of the urethra is protrudes up higher than the other side. I am in a monogamous relationship, and we have both been tested for every STD possible and came back clear. I even underwent an unpleasant peniscopy, which came back normal.

    My urologists (I am now on my third for the same issue) have all said things look normal and assured me they don?t suspect an STD, cancer, or anything serious. I just went back to the urologist recently after trying to ignore the chronic symptoms for six months. He gave me three theories:

    1) Just non specific urethritis, and he gave me antibiotics to hopefully help it clear up.
    2) I may be allergic to the condoms, soap, or detergent I am using.
    3) I could have very small kidney stones that are presenting symptoms at the opening of my penis. He used the analogy of a heart attack presenting with symptoms of pain in the left arm.

    My personal guess is that it is theory 1, but I am less than optimistic that the antibiotics will work, as I tried them once before. I share your frustration, and the frequent recurrence after sex has made me lose sexual desire to a large extent. I feel your pain....

    Helpful Tips

    Could it be a plantar's wart?
    I'm a 62 year old male with a very sore, bruised feeling on the bottom of my left foot, in the heel actually, this just came up about 36 ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.