Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do You Have the Strength?
Henry S Lodge, MD posted:
American life expectancy has risen so far and so fast that retirement planners now tell a generally healthy couple in their 60s to plan on at least one of them reaching their mid 90s. Even if you're prepared financially, have you invested enough in your body to keep you going until 90? Becoming a weak older person is a very dangerous concept, and very likely to end with you in a nursing home, or severely limited in your physical mobility.

So how do you make sure you'll have what it takes to stay in the game? Go to the gym, and do hard weight training a couple days a week, and keep showing up week after week. As unpleasant as that sounds, it is actually not that big a deal. In exchange, you get twenty years of functional independence and vitality, and the ability to live life on your terms for the road ahead.

StephenVajda responded:
Not ony did weight training help me lose weight but I had a recurring herniated disc. Now I can deadlift more than my weight. and I'm 60 years old.

Tony1044 responded:
Yep.there's a truth to that..been doing doing some push ups for the last 10 yrs, morning b4 I leave for work and at night..I'm reaping the benefits at age 56 as every part in my body seems to be working smoothly.

gymrat44 responded:
Only argument I'd have with what you say, Doc, is that regular gym training 'sounds unpleasant.' Only if you're not used to it, I guess. I turn 70 next year and I have four to five rigorous workouts/training sessions a week and miss them when I don't have them.

I'm not looking to extend my life, although that's fine if that happens. What I'm looking to do is being able to enjoy my remaining years with as much vigor as possible! At my age I am still finding that my body can learn to do new things -- I really enjoy that!

Helpful Tips

sex talk
my bf and i can't have sex together. he can get an erection but he can't ejaculate. for long time i thought it was me but with on going ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.