Skip to content
Insanely weird question about Finger and Foot Pain while lifting…
needspractice posted:
Here is the question or actually more of a statement. I'm freaked out!

Short Summary, I transferred jobs from Florida to Georgia for an Ex-Girlfriend a few years ago. I was starting to get older lets say around mid twenties and I needed more energy. I started working out like crazy and felt like I can take over the world. Probably got to 195-200 lbs in physical weight which felt great.

Then we broke up I switched jobs again and have been all over the place up and down trying to remain in shape.

Then like always all of a sudden I found a new lady and got married. She is wonderful but a few years later I got into some kind of small depression and was playing games online staying up late eating pizza and really crashed and burned.

I went back to college and still in college making straight A's; but between the small depression hit and having to make straight A's pressure.

I think I injury my right hand towards the knuckles and bottom right toe. The toe problem I have always had for over ten years I think it is a small bone spur or something that always comes on goes; but lately with my toe and my hand it is getting really worse when I worked out.

The hand could have been from being on the computer too much from my job and from when I got home. And the toe thing I am just unsure. The only difference is now offcourse is that the pain is not going away.

So ofocurse I had a relevation and wanted to power house out of this rut. I don't know what happened but its like I finally found the runners high. I mean I can literally for my brain to do anything and I will do it.

I bought the 910XT Garmin watch and literally have been tracking everything. I went from zero activity back to running 6 miles, swimming over 1000 meters, weight lifting hard-core , and biking on the trail easily 30+ miles.

I know its bad to jump right back into working out without going into it slowly but I use to work out 24/7 for years and my body still looks good.

I am 32 188 lbs 5,11 with 15% body fat. No where near the goals that I would like but I would say fairly healthy.

My main question is why are my joints not healing and now causing severe pain? Am I just getting old or do I have a under lining problem?

I had panic attack before with finals and stuff from college; but I wonder if this is also stress related. The main problem is that I can't sleep sometimes. Like last night I had to work out a little late because I had finals and thus I went to the gym around 6:30 workout biceps hard core, then did abs and cavs like crazy and swam 1000 meters like 40 laps. Came home around 8:30 and eat a huge meal and then tried to watch some TV and go to bed. That was an epic fail.

So to sum it all up I just wonder if I have an auto immune problem, arthritis, stress, or simply just getting old and over used my joints and need more rest. I could have pulled my muscle in my fingers because I was writing extremely a lot in college. It just sucks because I cannot afford to take a break and get out of shape again it would be disastrous. I need to get back into shape to feel healthy again and live my life.

I am just tried of these small anxiety attacks right before bed because I am unsure of what to do and I really do not want to go to the Doctor just so he can pump me full of pills. I'll probably go anyway just to make sure I do not have Diabetes or something.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

Best,
needspractice

davidgavami responded:
Depression, Anxiety and tenssion are directly related to pain.
I have experienced this condition first hand.
I am taking anti-depressant medications (Proizac and Efexor) and my Arthritis pain is 95% better.
The right way to go, and you have to see a doctor, is to check and find out the underlying medical issue(s) that are causing you pain- if it is something physical and there is a clear cut solution for it, get the proper treatment, otherwise ask your doctor to give you anti-depressant medication for a trial period because according to what you have described your condition/pain is most likely caused by Anxiety, Tenssion and or depression.
You are no where near old age to think your condition is as the result of old age.
Good luck

sluggo45692 responded:
Here are some suggestions to help. First and for most, BREATH. Take 5 minutes and do some relaxation breathing exercises. Anxiety is in the mind and if you don't control it, it will control you. Your discription of why you can't sleep is understandable, but you have to calm the mind before you try to sleep. Check out the sleep section of this site. It gives a lot of great advise for trying to get to sleep. These systems work. If you have localized pain (hand/feet) see your doctor about it. If you have general body aches from all the work outs, try some NSAID medications. 2 asprin or motrin a couple hours before you work out or before bed help.
As for out of shape, At 188 lbs, 5 feet 11" w/ 15% Body fat, you are in shape according to the AMA. Ask your wife what she thinks of your shape. You maybe the 1st one to approve of you shape, but she's the 2nd one to approve.
As an older person (50), I know joints and muscles have to rest. I use to run/lift/swim a lot for the service, but my friends/workout buddies always said to let the body rest between the workouts. I was never in your shape, but I still have my knees and movement because I followed my friends advise. Talk to any runner or body builder or college sports medical person and they will tell you the same. 6 miles a day, every day is to much. You need to rest your joints at least every 2 days.
That's my advise. Breath, Rest your body and mind, and see your doctor for specfic pain

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.