Skip to content
3 Months of Pain and Still Going...Doctors are Stumped
golfman76 posted:
My husband has been in pain for two months and has been to the emergency room 3 times and has been to 5 different doctors, has had an MRI and 3 different CT Scans done. It started with pain in his left knee. He has had surgery on his knee before but the last MRI (3 weeks ago) showed that the micro fracture surgery failed.

Around this same time he started having pain in is left scrotum...pain and tenderness. He went to a urologist and he treated him for epididymitis, but it did not work. The pain moved to his lower abdomen. It got worse when he lifted anything including our 20 pound baby. He has previously had hernia surgery so the doctor thought that might be it and that he should wait and see if it gets better.

Then a few days later, he started having tightness across his chest and unable to catch his breath. He went to the ER and they treated him for an upper respiratory infection. Next, a week or so later he start having the chest pains again and his whole left side started tingling. His arm and fingers went numb. He went back to the ER and the diagnosed him with a pinched nerve in his neck.

The pain in the knee and lower abdomen continued through the next couple of weeks. Then this weekend he lift a cooler that was light enough for my 5 year old to lift and sharp pain tore from the bottom of his abdomen to the top. He was in such severe pain for over 24 hours that we went to the ER. They diagnosed him with an inguinal hernia even though the CT scan showed no sign of a hernia. It did show some small kidney stones in the top of his kidneys.

He got into to see a general surgeon today and he said that he thought all of it was unrelated. He thought the upper abdominal pain was a muscle tear or strain. That the lower abdomen/scrotum pain was epididymitis and gave him an antibiotic. The pain is so bad tonight that he can't move and is nauseated.

It all has to be related right? What could it be? What can we do? He has been in pain for almost 3 months. We have three little girls and it is not going well. Please help!!!

Anon_179609 responded:
Sounds like you have really been through the ringer. I can't speak to everything but I had a similar situation with the scrotal pain. I had it come on some time ago for no apparent reason. Made the rounds of the family doc and then a urologist who did an ultrasound and could find nothing wrong. He sent me to a pain doc who did a trigger point injection and it made a world of difference. Had a second injection a month later and have been pain free for two years. You might want to see if a doc that specializes in pain management can't give your husband at least some relief. Good luck

Helpful Tips

Dizziness while urinating
I experience dizziness when ever i am lying down or when i have to go to the bathroom?can you tell me what the problem is? More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 14 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.