Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anemia + Hemorrhoids = high heart rate?
jayabrown posted:
About 6 years ago at age 27 I weighed 85 Kilograms at 5 foot 11 inches. After gaining about 10-15 kilograms and working in a job that required regular heavy lifting I developed hemorrhoids for the first time. I took medicine prescribed by my doctor and it went away. Now, at age 33 and 120 kilograms I have a sedentary lifestyle and have had hemorrhoids for a year and a half pretty consistently. Before and now they are external and bleeding hemorrhoids. I'm not constipated and my hemorrhoids are really aggravated when I go to the bathroom too much. Twice a day I'm fine, but sometimes I go 3 or 4 times a day. I also have hereditary anemia caused by b12 and iron deficiency though I take no medicine for it. In the past month, my hemorrhoids have been quite bad and I have noticed that my heart rate is sometimes/intermittently quite fast - between 110-140 bpm when I am only sitting. I don't have stress or anxiety and I have good mental health. I'm not sure what to do. I do have restless leg syndrome though infrequently which i hear can be related to anemia but it is not too bothersome. I feel like the blood loss because of the hemorrhoids, which can be quite a lot, in combination with my anemia may be affecting my heart rate but I would like some input. thanks.

sluggo45692 responded:
Here's some questions and advise. Do your hemorrhoids constantly bleed? Are you taking any vitamins w/iron? If not, why not? Are you on a stool softener? Is your diet mostly the "bad" stuff? Fried, greasey, & taste great. If your anemic, then get your hemorrhoids under control or remove them. A simple daily prenatal vitamin will give you extra iron. You will need a stool softener if you take pre-natals. Yes, low blood volumn will cause irregular and rapid heart rates. OTC fiber, stool softners and pre-natals are cheap and easy to use. Your 33 years old and sounds like your letting yourself go. I'm 50, have a sitting job and overweight. I also continue to fight my weight, I'm 5'10" and weight 270 pounds. I use to work as a cook, now I'm working 3rd shift. I'm not bringing in the garbage foods any more and getting my life in order. It's never to late, unless your dead. I'm changing my life because I want to be healthy to enjoy retirement in 10 years and I want my tool to still work when I do retire. What's your goal? So get your butt fixed and get off of it. Good Luck

jayabrown replied to sluggo45692's response:
Thanks for your reply. I don't take any medicine whatsoever - no stool soften, no vitamins, no iron. I don't eat unhealthy. In fact, I eat pretty healthy, but tend to overeat. Though, I've lost 5 pounds approx. by just reducing my intake. Hemorrhoids are so bothersome that walking or exercise causes them to bleed. I go through probably a couple weeks of bleeding and then I'll have a few days of not bleeding but then it returns. In fact I increased my fiber intake but it just makes me have more BMs. They won't heal because I have frequent BMs I think. The anemia was never really an issue until the hemorrhoids. And with the high heart rate that I hear in my ears and you can feel in my chest it is really horrible. I want to exercise but can't right now. If there are more people who could voice their opinion on this iron supplement and stool softener advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks so much.

sluggo45692 replied to jayabrown's response:
Your welcome. If the hemorrhoids are so bad they bleed when you walk or exercise, I would see a doctor to get them cauterized. Yes it's a pain in the rear (yes it was on purpose), but to improve you health and cut down on laundry it's got to worth it. Your looking at an open wound next to a bacterial land mine. I don't know what your using on the hemorrhoids to reduce them, but I know Vick's vapor rub works wonders. Good luck

Your welcome. I'm 0. I tried to reply, but it got eaten somewhere. If your Hemorrhoids are so bad they bleed when you walk or excerise, you need to see a doctor and get them fixed/removed. To help reduce them, Vick's vapor rub works wonders. Remember, it's an open wound next to a bacteral land mine. Good Luck

ajaypai1971 responded:
about stool softeners, as far as my experience goes, nothing works wonders as okra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra ) does. and pitted prunes next.

and i also benefited with walking before i went to relieve myself. this is assuming you have no trouble walking, as an exercise.

i suffered with minor hemmaroids and fissures. im not sure if this will help you. but whenever i see people talking hard stools problem, i always recommend okra, that is what worked for me.

HTH
disclaimer: this is my experience, no medical advice

Meg88 responded:
It sounds like you are describing me. I've had blood transfusions,iron infusions and I get a B12 shot every month.
I was taking two Agrenox pills every day, when a new doctor
suggested I stop the Agrenox most of my problems went away.
He said since the Agrenox contained aspirin it was possible that this is what was causing the bleeding and he was right.
I also had colonostopy and upper GI .

I hope I may have helped you a little. By the way ,Im 89years old /

malibujd44 replied to sluggo45692's response:
ARE YOU CRAZY!!!! VAPOR RUB!?!?! I think you mean just regular petroleum jelly. Vapor rub would burn your ass. The skin is very thin down there.

malibujd44 replied to jayabrown's response:
Is there a reason you do not take the vitamins or at least Iron pills? They can only help. Do you have something against vitamins? Stop complaining and help yourself first. Your poor blood is dying for iron so get some then get to a doctor or free clinic fast.

sluggo45692 replied to malibujd44's response:
Yes, I mean vic's vapor rub. Believe it or not, I have used it. I thought mom was a little crazy, also. It works. It stings, but it will reduce them. It's much better than witch hazel, because of the petroleum jelly in the rub. Also if you have a cold, rub the vic's on the soles of you feet if you don't want to put it on your chest. It still works to open you up. It's some really good stuff.

Well, I want to thank everyone's input. It's been about 2 weeks since I started having these symptoms. I started taking B12, iron supplements, and fish oil. I also talked to my doctor and started taking Daflon and an anti-Hemorrhoid cream.

However, while the bleeding of hemorrhoids has decreased from handfuls of blood to much less, I'm still bleeding and now the hemorrhoids feel really huge and hard.

My heart rate is still really high at resting. I don't feel dizzy or deaf when I stand up anymore, but the high heart rate is really bothersome since i feel it throughout my body. I sleep probably 16 hours a day with 2 or 3 naps per day. I sleep so much and I can't stop it since starting to feel like this. I am always tired. I notice the high heart rate comes after eating. I'm trying to eat more frequently but smaller meals it seems to help a little but my heart rate won't come down.

If anyone has any experience with this i'd appreciate it.

jasonbbuckley replied to jayabrown's response:
Dude you need to stop bleating and start eating right. make yourself a apple vinegar pad, yeah like a chick pad, and put that in your crack. and as it burns realize that you need to get out there and love the sunlight and be grateful that you have the ability and gift to live on planet that the universe has given us. eat all the fruit and veg that you didnt want to and be thankful.

Glad to hear you seen your doctor. Did he take a blood test? If you tired like you say, he should have tested you hemocrit and hemoglobin levels. Your hemocrit is the comparison of liquid in your blood to solids, and you hemoglobin is the test for the red blood cells to see if you have enough iron. Tired & high pulse rate sounds like you might even need a trasfusion of blood. I had a female friend who every time she cycled. had to have a blood test. Every 2-3 months she had to get a pint of blood. After a couple of years the doctors finaly took her uterus out. Her blood counts normalized and no more transfusions. Her symptoms for needing blood was sleeping 12-15 hours a day and high heart rate. She was constantly taking iron and B12. Like jasonbbuckley stated. Stop the bleeding. You'll feel much better. Good Luck

the doctor didn't do any blood tests. he said that i had to stop the bleeding first. i'm still bleeding but much less. i still have the high heart rate occasionally.

Just to address jasonbbuckley's comments. I eat well. i haven't been able to exercise and will when i can but with the bleeding it's impossible as well as with the high heart rate.

my doctor knows my symptoms and the medicine is for the hemorrhoid treatment.

I notice that i get light-headed and a high-heart rate after eating. so i am eating more frequent small meals which seems to help a little but not totally.

the daflon is affecting my stomach i think. or it's the iron and b12 supplements. I feel nauseated often.

but thanks for the support all.

Look in WebMD's drug side affects on your meds. Follow all the precautions for your meds. You may have to eat something with your meds. I can't comment on your doctor, but I have worked in hospitals and clinics and a blood test that uses a finger stick or 1 5ml tube of blood won't hurt your blood loss. You need a baseline to test if the meds are working. Just my understanding. Just ask him/her the next time you see them. The most the doctor can say is no.

You will be light-headed and have a high heart rate after eating. Your body's natural reaction is send blood to the intestines to absorb the food. Drink lots of water. At least a gallon (4 liters) a day. It will help with blood loss, moisten your stool for easier passage, and hydration is never a bad thing. A good judge of water consumption is one 8 oz glass of water an hour or more while your awake. If your sleeping a lot, always have a glass in your hand. Got to go. Good luck

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.