Skip to content
Post epididymectomy pain
mrkent75 posted:
25 years ago I had a vasectomy. About 16 years ago, I started having scrotal/testicular pain on the right side. A urologist said I had epididymitis, and put me on antibiotics. When the pain continued he suggested a cord block to find out if the pain was truly in the epididymis, or being referred from somewhere else. Since the cord block temporarily stopped the pain, he finally recommended having an epididymectomy done. After recovery from that surgery, the pain continued, and I was told that I was among the unfortunate 5% who continued to have pain after the surgery.

Since the pain was mild, I just lived with it, using OTC pain relievers and wearing a scrotal suspensory as needed. In the last few months however the pain has dramatically increased. I did a self examination and discovered that my right testicle has atrophied. It is much smaller than it used to be.

I went back to the same urology clinic, and was told (after a very brief exam) that the only option is to remove the right testicle to stop the pain. I am not too worried about having it removed, since my left testicle is fine, and I have never had any problem with it. I am just not convinced that I will have relief from the pain. What if I am "among the unfortunate 5% who continued to have pain after the surgery?"

I am planning to make an appointment with a different urologist, at a different clinic, for another opinion.

Any suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated!
sluggo45692 responded:
No doctor knows everything. A second opinion is always a good idea before you have anything removed. Also see if you can have them give you an artifical testicle (no joke). Less self conscious when they look and feel the same. Your choice. Always think of your body as a piece of wood. Measure twice, cut one. Good Luck

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.