Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metallic Sweat smell?
An_253025 posted:
Just recently I've been having a strong metallic(pennies?) type smell coming from my armpits at the end of the day. I cant find anything specific on the internet to tell me what the cause is.

I've just assumed it's perhaps some part of my diet. But i'd like to know what. Or if it's something else Id like to know equally as much of course.

An_253121 responded:
I too would like to know as my boyfriend has this also

An_253133 responded:
I have had a problem with this for three years now and it started all at once. Medical tests of underarm sweat found a substantial amount of ionic copper, with some ionic aluminum in each sample. My endocrinologist diagnosed it as effusive metallic ion syndrome who cause is currently unknown. The pathology of this disease is also currently unknown. Seven deceased African-Americans were found stacked in an alley in Memphis Tennessee in April, 1997. The cause of death was unknown but the overwhelming metallic odor was apparent immediately. Dr. Heinrich Kupfer an exchange physician from Switzerland at Baptist Hospital in Memphis conducted autopsies of all seven and found high levels of copper ions and a lower level of aluminum ions. A theory postulated two years after the event by Dr. Sahesh Pradana at Baroness Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga TN suggested that all seven African Americans had enough alcohol in their systems to kill a bull. The Hamilton County Sheriff's Dept. discovered an illegal distillery (moonshine still) in southeastern Hamilton County. Analysis of the tubing for the still found a predominantly copper with some levels of aluminum in the tubing used for condensation of the volatile alcoholic fumes. Evidently the victims had drank gallons of the moonshine and their bodies had become super saturated with metallic ions causing acute kidney and liver failure resulting in death. How they travelled to Memphis to Chattanooga is still unknown.

Helpful Tips

male genital physical exams
Dear Doctors, I will lose the new job offer if I don't have their Dr.physical exam. I have avoided exams for over 8 years because I'm too ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.