Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

What a Great Experience this group has become. The kinship in Brotherhood. There is such a diverse range of topics. This is the place we can be as open as we want to be... Everyone is welcome to join, but it is not a place to Cruise. It's for sharing sexual questions and comments among men.
Talking with Son
longjoe posted:
Hey I was just wondering if any of you had the talk with your son? or had the talk with your dad? I was wondering what i should talk about with my son as my dad was not very open with me. Sex is obvious but should i include masturbation? Did you include this and how much detail did you go into?

An_247002 responded:
I never had that talk with my dad but really wish that he talked to me about it. I think it would have been a very memorable bonding time for me (though it can be awkward).

I think you definitely should talk to your son. Whom else should he hear about sex from but you? If it's not you, then he will hear it from his peers or the Internet which may not be the values you want him to have.

Doogood replied to An_247002's response:
I agree that you should have a talk with your son. Take it slowly and see what he's wanting to talk about. Remember this is about educating him as he's ready to hear and understand becoming a man sexually. I think he should know that masturbation is completely natural and it's ok to partake of self pleasure. If he has questions he should be able to ask you for advice. You may also want to share a memory or two of your own 'first times' if he seems like he doesn't know how to formulate a question. Best of luck to the two of you and I hope it all goes well. Keep us posted!

Anon_1131 responded:
Definitely have a talk with your son about all aspects of sex. You may want to plan a weekend with you son doing activities that you both enjoy- camping,fishing, boating,etc. Use the one-on-one time to talk about sex and answer his questions. Start with the basics- egg and sperm, wet dreams, masturbation, etc and then move into contraception, premarital sex and the mechanics of intercourse. It is important that he understands how to have intercourse and please both his partner and himself.

Things may be awkward at first but likely will loosen up as the conversation progresses

hairyd replied to Anon_1131's response:
I agree a weekend would be best. Then the information could be spaced out. Given him time to think about the information. Also questions tha he may ask.
If he is a teenage a video or movie with same sexual scenes. Maybe helpful with you discussion. Your personal experience of become a man would be helpful. Add some humor. Nobody want to hear about their mom and dads. Therefore use friends (fake) names. Also use slang and the correct names for body parts.

Tell the guys how it goes. Other father may need to know.

Doogood responded:
Another important point I think we've missed is that this should be an ongoing conversation. A weekend is a great start to the process as HairyD mentions. But remember this is all relatively new to your son so its going to take longer for him to form ideas and make connections and formulate his own personality and preferences. Start now and continue the path in helping him form his own sense of being a man.

Spotlight: Member Stories

In my 60s, bought my first barbell in high school 50 years ago and still work out four or five times a week. Getting to know and enjoy my body has inc...More

Helpful Tips

Kindly help me
Dear Sir/Madam Iam suffering from below symptoms from past 4.5 yrs 1. After wake up from bed at early morning a. Slight shivering in ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.