Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

What a Great Experience this group has become. The kinship in Brotherhood. There is such a diverse range of topics. This is the place we can be as open as we want to be... Everyone is welcome to join, but it is not a place to Cruise. It's for sharing sexual questions and comments among men.
Physical
otter051069 posted:
The last few physicals I've had, there has been a scribe in the room along with the doctor. I don't feel as comfortable with another person in the room other than the doc and myself. Anyone else run across this?

This summer I had a cystoscopy at the urologists office and his nurse administered the numbing agent and then left, but was not in the room during the actual exam.

Let me know your experiences.

An_251837 responded:
Our doctor often has an intern working in the office. They ask if we mind if the intern is present. I do not mind, but my wife does so she says no to the intern being in the room and they comply. I totally understand your wanting to keep your examination private.

otter051069 replied to An_251837's response:
I wish we had the option of doing that, but I don't think this gal is an intern. She types in the computer as the Doc does the exam; and I get it, it frees him up without having to worrying about having to input info after the exam.

For most things I don't mind having someone else in the room; ie: flu, rx refill, etc., but for a physical or an item that is of a sensitive nature, it would be nice to have the option of passing on the extra sets of eyes and ears.

fcl replied to otter051069's response:
Why can't the doctor simply record the exam and get her to type it up afterwards? It would be a lot less uncomfortable for you and, I'm sure, other patients too.

fcl replied to fcl's response:
I'd just like to add that if you don't want an "observer" in the room that you are perfectly entitled to say so. Never forget that you are footing the bill and that the customer is always right.

I find it inacceptable that your doc didn't even ask you if you minded the extra presence. Personally, I think that this behaviour is unprofessional. Don't stand for it if you don't like it.

sluggo45692 responded:
If you look at the Patient Rights at most clinics/hospitals, you can always request someone to leave the room or request someone to be with the doctor as a same sex stand-by. It is the patients responsibility to make the request. Until the request for either is done, the doctor can do as he/she pleases. Yes, the doctor or the nurse before should have asked, but it's not a requirement. Know you rights and responsibilities when you see your doctor. It can make for a more helpful visit.

marrmilguy replied to sluggo45692's response:
Anytime my doctor has an assistant, it is always someone of the same sex. Its rare that he does but probably once a year it might happen. I think I was in the situation where it wasn't and I informed the doctor I was uncomfortable with it. With the military hospital staff, its almost a rule that the opposite sex is not part of the program if its a physical or something similar. Same sex assistants is not an issue with me at all.

otter051069 replied to marrmilguy's response:
Thanks marrmilguy for the response. Only one time did a nurse say the Doctor has an intern today and would I mind if they came in with the Doc and I asked, male or female, she answered, female and I said no and they complied. It was at the rectal surgeon's office. If it would have been a guy, I wouldn't have a problem.

I have a physical coming up shortly with a new Doc and I plan on expressing my thoughts with someone other than the Doc and myself being In the room. At the office I go to, there are no same sex assistants, just gals. Just not as comfortable with them in the room at least for a physical.

marrmilguy replied to otter051069's response:
Yeah dude. Its your physical. Its up to you on who is in the room with you. Its hard to discuss any personal stuff with anyone else than your doctor. So, yeah bring it up before you even start next time. I just went through a physical last week and the assistant was same sex and really didn't have a problem in that situation. I do go in with my sons during theirs just because of their age. When the are 18, then they can go on their own if they wish to.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married for 15 years, with one child. I am fascinated by breasts and vaginas, especially my hot wife's (she's still amazing and physically at...More

Helpful Tips

Fleshjack
I have found that using a fleshjack is the next best thing to real sex. I have a hard time, no pun intended, in not shooting after ten ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.