Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
14 year old with migraines
rrwill posted:
My son is 14 years old and has been suffering with migraines since elementary school. His neurologist here first put him on Amitriptyline and didn't work well. Now he's starting on Nadolol 60mg in the mornings. He hasn't taken his first dose yet. As his mom, I'm just concerned about my teenager being on prescription medication. He also still has a lot of trouble swallowing a pill. OTC Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen just don't seem to be helping very much anymore because he has to take the liquid. I'm interested in any "natural" remedies if they are safe. Any suggestions?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
There are very few "natural" remedies for migraines (see the TIP titled "Supplements for Migraine".

There is very little difference between "prescription" medications and supplements--both are processed chemical compounds that may or may not have an effect on your son's headaches.

Nadolol is an FDA approved medication for migraine preventions, with very few side effects (fatigue and lightheadedness are the only common side effects). Unlike Amitriptyline, nadolol is very unlikely to have any effects on morning alertness or interfere with performance at school.

Other common prevention medications used in teenagers are Topamax, verapamil and depakote.

rrwill replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you for answering my question. He cannot swallow a pill well at all. With the Nadolol, his doctor recommended crushing the pill and adding to applesauce, pudding, etc. Can Nadolol we compounded into a liquid or do the other medications you spoke about come in a liquid or can they be compounded into a liquid? We can crush the pill with no problem, I just want to make sure he's getting the full effects of the Nadolol if it is crushed into food.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center