Includes Expert Content
Headaches since starting fitness routine
dixieredheadgir posted:
About a month ago I started a rigorous fitness routine and started dieting. Before this, I've had no consistent problems with headaches. Now, however I am getting them almost everyday. I have taken more motrin and tylenol in the past month than I ever have. What could be triggering them? I want to be getting healthier...not taking more medicine!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
What are you doing for a diet plan? Sometimes restricting calories too much (being hungry all the time) can be a trigger for headache. Some people get headaches from diet supplements also. Headaches can be triggered by exercise--if you are exercising every day you might want to skip a day and see what happens.

If you aren't hungry all the time, or taking any supplements, you might want to talk with your doctor and make sure there isn't anything else going on.

dixieredheadgir replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I am beginning to think I am not drinking enough water. It is hard for me to drink water all the time. I am just exercising (weights, cardio, etc.) and watching my caloric intake, as well as carbs, sugar, etc. I have a paid personal trainer and she does work me pretty hard. I am not taking any supplements or doing anything "not natural."

Thanks so much for your reply and your advice.

carpetcrawler5 replied to dixieredheadgir's response:
Excercise is definitly a big trigger for migraines, and it might get worse as you get older. I personally can't do anything that makes me hot,especially in the neck area or I will get a mig. But excercise is good for headaches because it increases blood circulation. What I do is swim, or walk in a cool environment such as evenings around the block. Neither of these should cause migraines because you don't get overheated. You can swim pretty hard too, so it's good for getting in shape.

And you don't have to starve if you're swimming because it helps you lose weight, probably because you use every muscle in your body, even your toes.

FLHappy responded:
after an hour of hard cardio - I sometimes immediately get an intense headache, deblitating. By the time I get home from the gym, I'm taking two pain pills(fiorinal) and have to lay down with cold cloth on my head. I've been working out for 20 years and this just started about 2 years ago. I do not understand it at all.

FLHappy replied to dixieredheadgir's response:
I wonder if it's dehydration sometimes too. I know I dont drink the recommended amount of water. But it's not like I'm drinking sodas, I just dont drink alot, but when i do drink it is usually water.

kneal1204 replied to FLHappy's response:
I also noticed that after i do an intense cardioseesion that i will get a headache. i dont know if it's from getting overheated like some other people have mentioned or if it's something to do with the increased circulation and heart rate?

rach86runner replied to kneal1204's response:
I only get migraines after intense workouts, that can last 12 hours. I stay hydrated, take pain relievers with no relief...No diet. I'm only 25, and this has lasted for a few years now...

carpetcrawler5 replied to rach86runner's response:
The right type of excercise can help headaches and get the blood circulating.
The best excercise for headaches that don't trigger them are swimming and walking.

AliHe responded:
I had the same problem when I was training for a 1/2 Ironman. My problem was that I was hydrating with only water. My headaches disappeared when I incorporated sports drinks into my hydration during exercise. Also, as soon as I was finished exercising I would drink half a glass of Ovaltine chocolate milk. I am now training for a full Ironman and have not had a migraine induced from exercise in over 6 months.

itmatsb responded:
I've had severe migraines 24/7 for almost 3 years. Some treatments have helped them, but the one thing that triggers the migraines getting far worse is physical activity. Even walking in a store can trigger very severe ones or simply doing a little bit too much in a day.

Ikolev replied to itmatsb's response:
when i had severe headache the only think i did is to stop all electronics around me and try to sleep if i manage to sleep a bit (20min or more) i feel refreshed.

retired2273 responded:
I wish there was an answer bit I don't think there is. I prepared and ran a marathon with no problem. Six months later any kind of running or vigorous exercise would trigger a migraine. I've tried everything from the headache clinic. I can keep them half way ok with preventative medication but no crazy workouts. The only thing I can do is walk or light stationary biking. It's so disappointing! Hope it isn't the same for you.

andytillman responded:
I have experienced the same problem. In my case, I felt like the migraines were being triggered by the inflammation from the exercise. You break down muscles, which become sore and swollen, especially if your exercise affected muscles across the shoulders and neck, influencing the cervical and thoracic spine. This can include swimming, especially breast stroke, due to the position you hold your head in that stroke. I now avoid heavy lifting or intense exercise for more moderate activity. And, when I lift, I ice my neck and head proactively afterward, even overnight and the next morning.