Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Migraines and Prenatal Heroine use
melhallblade34 posted:
Hello,
So we are still working on breaking this mig I have had since may 5th. I see my neurologist on Friday, and hopefully we will figure out something. I was wondering, and maybe this is a question for the MD, but my mother has told me she used heroine while she was pregnant with me, I am wondering if anyone has heard this having an effect on migraines or brain chemistry later in life. My IQ is high Average and the only other issue I have had is dyslexia which I have overcome.
Thanks for any and all help,
Melissa Hallblade

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Sounds like a very difficult discussion to have with your mother.

Heroin by itself has minimal "bad" effects on the body. The narcotics in general have almost no effect on the baby before birth, except for the possiblity of narcotic withdrawal after birth.

Anything mixed in with the heroin would have caused problems that were most noticed just after birth.

I'm not aware of anything that has been shown to influence headaches later in life.

melhallblade34 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you, that is what most of my own research had shown. But only one half aunt on my mothers side has migraines, don't know paternal side at all, so I was wondering if this was a possibility. Thanks again for your quick reply,
Melissa

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to melhallblade34's response:
Melissa,

Unfortunately about 25% (or 1 out of 4) women have migraine headaches, so the "normal" occurrence of migraines in women is very high.

This makes it very hard to evaluate genetic influences in migraine in women, (except in families were 50% or more of the women have headaches). There are a few genetic migraine diseases reported, at least one is "dominant" and can be inherited from the father or mother.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center