Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hemicrania Continua
melhallblade34 posted:
Hello,
So I went to see my neurologist again today, and we went over my symptoms and diary since my migs started on may 5th. We are now hoping that I have Hemicrania Continua, based on my symptoms and lack of success with other meds. The only way to test for this is to try the meds for a week. Does any one have any experience with this? I know it is kinda rare? Any help would be gladly taken, thanks.

Melissa

carpetcrawler5 responded:
What's the name of the medication? Have you looked it up?

melhallblade34 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
It is Indometacin, which is a high dose nsaid. I have looked up the drug and the condition but I was hoping for personal experience with some one who has this or knows some one who has this. My symptoms all match up, but they don't tell you what to expect for the rest of your life.

angieross269 replied to melhallblade34's response:
I have not been diagnosed with the same thing as you, but I do take Indometacin for my migraines, it does give some relief, good luck!

carpetcrawler5 replied to melhallblade34's response:
actually that is the only thing that wroks for me. But you can't use it as a preventative because it hurts your stomach badly. You should only use when you have a bad one and Triptans don't help.

likenacho responded:
I have hemicrania. I have tried the meds and recently had the first of 2 surgeries to relieve the pain. U go to Georgetown Hospital. It has a great clinic so does John Hopkins. They have a different type of surgery there they do to alleviaye tyhew pain. Right now...meds barely contain it.

Nhbonk replied to likenacho's response:
I'm not sure if this will help, but there was a case study done in Headache in 2006 on a patient with Hemicrania Continua. The man couldn't take indomethacin due to stomach upset and nothing else seemed to work. They tried melotonin and it worked. I can't find the journal at the moment a google search will do the trick.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center