Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Starting Citalopram...really bad headache
aoao99 posted:
I'm only on Day 1 of 20mg Citalopram, but my presciption information states that headaches are a cause for concern. Other searches have said they're normal. I was told by the on-call doctor at my general practicioner's office that I could take Motrin and call my regular physician on Monday when she's back. I'm rather concerned because it was an awful headache. I get headaches quite often, and this was terrible, and coincided with the timing of the Citalopram entering my system. Just want to make certain these are to be expected, Motrin is ok to continue taking, there isn't something adversely wrong. Any advice would be great!!

carpetcrawler5 responded:
this medication can cause migraines, including all the other SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft). However, i would think that it would be after a longer amount of time, like as it builds up in your system. Sometimes Celexa is actually prescribed for migraines. I took it for that and also tried Zoloft and Paxil. They all gave me insomnia and didn't help much.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
As far as I know, all the medications like citalopram have headaches listed as a possible side effect. I have seen patients with side effects from other similar medications. If the headache continues, you may need to try another medication.

ibuprofen and naproxen (aleve) are OK to take with citalopram. If you have migraine medications at home, you can also take your regular migraine medication.

aoao99 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you both for your responses...I am feeling much better and think the medication is working. Much appreciated for putting my worries aside.

jamanda1980 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Can citalopram cause hot flashes

Helpful Tips

HELP!!!
I am a healthy 13 year old male and I have recently been having had pains. For the last 6 months i had intense head pain. I head random ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center