Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
3 day headache in back of head
soccernut6410 posted:
For the past three to four days I have had a bearable yet, semi bad constant pain in the back of my head. It is located in the very back and slighty to the left of my head. It is not skull pain. This is also not a normal headache, this has been constantly there for the past three to four days. Pain killers do not help with this at all. If I do any of the following, the pain gets worse: nod, shake head, sudden sharp movement, run, jump, ect. Basically anything that makes the head move more than a little cause the pain to sear. It does seem to be a little worse in the morning than later in the day.
I have researched these symptoms and nothing seems conclusive.
Any advice or possible cause would be nice.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
There is a type of headache called occipital neuralgia that is just in the back of the head, usually with severe tenderness in the back of the head. Most patients with occipital neuralgia have increased pain with movement. There is often a burning quality to the pain, and some patients have a pins and needles sensation with the pain.

There is a fairly simple treatment for occipital neuralgia--injection of a local anesthetic (lidocaine or novacaine) into the nerve in the scalp, which numbs up the back of the head and makes the pain go away.

Sometimes taking a medication like Aleve or Motrin every day for several days will come this down.

petealvarado replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Please help, I have this sharp pain on the top right side of my head its been 5 days now. Feels like its on my scalp, hurts when I touch it or even move my head. (It feels like I hit my head on the bottom of an open cabinet door.)
Crying for help
pete

carpetcrawler5 replied to petealvarado's response:
Have you seen a dr for this?

TnCNA replied to petealvarado's response:
Pete, I was wondering if you ever found relief to your condition and if there was a diagnosis with this as I am as I write you have the very same symptoms now for the past 4 days and the pain gets so bad I don't know what I am going to do but at least its not constant but it does stop and go and also my neck is very tender. Please email me at rwiggins59@yahoo.com if you would please. I also want to let you know that you are the first that Ive seen as I am trying to find others with this in letter form and my pain is on the same side of the scalp.

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center