Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
head pain help
patrickvs posted:
hello doctor,I am a 13 year old boy and for the last 9 months i have had head pain. The pains come and go. The first 3 months i had explosive electrical shock feeling head pains and i got feelings on my head and body of things crawling around like thousands of things crawling for a few seconds and it traveled down and went away. I also got weird stabing pains in the head and pressure on the forehead. I get a fire feeling on the back of my head not often. just got that a month ago. i now get eye pain in m left eye like a knife pain sometimes and on the left side of my head. Now i get pains on the left side of my head usually. Today i started to run around the house and my left part of the head on the forehead started to throb at movements and it hurt. If i shake my head the left part of my head and forehead hurt. And when i stare at my phone for a long time and look up i see squigly lines for about 3 seconds. I have already gotten an MRI - Normal.They say b'cause puberty. please help.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Headaches often start at puberty. We still treat them with medications when they are as bad as you are having.

You need to talk with your doctor about how bad they are, there are several very safe medications used for headaches in teenagers.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I would say you might be having cluster headaches, because of the eye pain, but the other symptoms don't match. Who ordered the MRI for you, was it your regular dr or a nuerologist?

patrickvs replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thanks Doctor. Sorry it took me so long to respond. My password was having trouble. Just one question have you ever had a patient with the same symptoms like i did.

patrickvs replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thanks carpetcrawler5 . Sorry it took me so long to respond. My password was having trouble. Well my parents asked the pediatrician to set up a MRI at the childrens hospital. So the pediatrician ordered the MRI, but my parents told her too do it. I was also looked over by a eye doctor that said nothing was wrong. also by my Grandparents who are all mainly Doctors.

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center