Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    hemiplegic migraine in child
    shelsers posted:
    hi my son has had migraines since he was 3 he is 10 now. he would get 2-3 a year with aura colours headache the last 6 months he is getting 3-4 a month,then a month ago he had one slept for an hour,when he woke i thought he had a stroke mouth dropped and he couldnt form sentences and was slurring his words.the hospital kept him overnight the symptoms lasted about 40 mins.he also had numbness in his arm.they diagnosed hemiplegic migraine and i was told to bring him back if it happens again for more exstensive testing.he had a small migraine 2 weeks ago no hemi-plegic symptoms.iv noticed since this happened he has started slurring his words t,s b,s p,s etc and its getting more noticable,its not constant but its happening it part of this type of migraine or should i get it checked thanks
    carpetcrawler5 responded:
    Sometimes migraines can mimic stroke. I would take him to a pediactric neurologist next, the ER isn't specialized for headaches and he really should see his regular dr. MRI or CT scans would be ordered, but all the symptoms sound like regular migraines. A neurologist could re-evaluate whether it's hemiplegic migraine.
    Timothy Collins, MD responded:
    Migraine as a cause for slurred speech should only happen during the migraine attack.

    Anyone who is diagnosed with "hemiplegic migraine" should have an MRI scan of the brain before the diagnosis is made. (only exception would be families that know they have the gene for this disease).

    You need to talk to your son's doctor soon about this new problem.
    dailypainleader replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
    My daughter, 28, has had a headache for two days. First treated it like a sinus headache, which made it worse. Then she had some nausea, numbness in right arm and some slurred speech. The last two symptoms only lasted a few minutes, but reoccurred on the following day with the headache getting worse. I took her to the ER and they did a CT scan, said it was a migraine. Gave her pain meds, anti-nausea meds and sent her home. She has been sleeping ever since (6 hours). Should I be concerned? They said if she had the slurred speech again to bring her back and they may have to do an MRI. Is there that much difference between the two?
    shelsers replied to dailypainleader's response:
    sorry my reply is late ,i was told these symptoms cannot be ignored because you can never rule out the possibility of stroke,it is unlikely but needs to be monitered everytime.thankg god my son has not had another attack like that since just normal migraine and a couple of headaches he is to be assessed again on monday.i hope your daughter is ok and has not had anymore migraines
    allie_bf responded:
    Sorry this is late, hadn't seen your post earlier. I hope that, by now, things are looking better, and your son has been back to his doctor. One thing worth considering, if you haven't already addressed this, would be to ask your son's doctor about a consult with a pediatric speech therapist (also a physical therapist if he's having problems with the affected arm.) If your son's pediatrician is interested but doesn't have a specific recommendation, you can usually find a therapist at your local children's hospital. You could also ask the rehab department at a community hospital without specialized pediatric services since they probably still knows who works with children.
    shelsers replied to allie_bf's response:
    hi thanks for your reply he is doing much better the last 2 weeks,but im glad we back for assessment monday so i can find out about the symptoms that lingered.i will keep your ideas in mind if he has any longlasting efeects,i will let you know how monday goes shelsers
    carpetcrawler5 replied to dailypainleader's response:
    You need to take her to a regular dr and get checked out. If he can'r help, which he should because he can give her Imitrex instead of pain meds, he/she will send her to a nuero to get preveventative meds.
    shelsers replied to allie_bf's response:
    hi just letting you know darren seen doctor on monday and he was not happy with his symptoms,he did the genetic bllod test for famiaial hemiplegic migraine and its been sent to london,we live in ireland.he also has an mri booked for nest month and he has to see an eye specialist.i was very happy he is being so thorough.thanks for your suggestions its nice to have somewhere to go as this is a worrying time.hope you are well take care shelsers.
    shelsers replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
    hi i seen you were very sick last week i posted somewhere else to say hope you were feeling better think i went to the wrong place,just wanted to let you know darrens doc was not happy with his symptoms and did genetic blood testing for famial hemiplegic migraine,he is booked for an mri next month and is seeing an eye very happy he is being so thorough,thanks for your reply,hope your having a good week,take care shelsers.

    Helpful Tips

    Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
    Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    31 of 47 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center