Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Migraine treatment with endometrial ablation
heatherm52 posted:
I've had migraines for the past 2.5-3 years and have taken Imetrex and Naprosyn to control my monthly bout w/ the mentrual migraine. For the past three months they have continually worsened to the point I'm bedridden for 2 days, unbale to work, and have pushed my mothering duties off onto my husband. This past episode was my breaking point - I broke down in tears in the shower and felt totally out of contol of my own body. I HATE to take pills or medicine of any kind and my mother has suggested to me Endometrial Ablation. I'm 37 years old, my mother had the procedure when she was 50, and hasn't had a period since, she of course has now gone threw menopause though. Is this something to consider for Mentrual Migraines?

shelly82010 responded:
I had the procedure done last year, my periods were really heavy and also had migraines.At first my period was real light after procedure,now it seems they are getting heavier,same way with the migraines.I was really wanting to just go ahead and have hysterectomy but was willing to try this, just wished it would of stopped the migraines.But they say everyone's body is different.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I think the procedure is usually used for women who have heavy periods. I don't think it helps headaches. If you get a hysterectomy it can make your headaches worse, because you go straight into menopause, which isn't comfortable so you have to take estrogen to feel better. This may make your headaches worse.

carpetcrawler5 replied to shelly82010's response:
Also forgot to mention that if you're having that bad of a migraine probelm, you definitly have to take meds for them. Headaches are very complex and many times need intense treatment.

Kathydorso responded:
I'm 46 and had the procedure on October 19th, 2012 and have had a constant headache! I've been on Zithromax 3 times, methopredisone twice, and flonase. Nothing has worked. I'm scheduled to see a ENT next Friday. We did a cat scan and nothing. They suggested I see a neurologist too. I've cried quite a few times.

I'm not sure if it's from the ablation and have had sinus problems but nothing this long. I'm also sensative to mold and I'm a realtor, and did go into a home the night before that had a lot of mold, another home that neighbors said they were doing Meth in the home, and another home that had a gas leak. I'm not sure if it was a sensitivity to the smells or related to the ablation? The symptoms I've had are: I'm in a fog, pressure behind my eyes, itchy eyes, fatigue, tired, and headache, eyes are blood shot in the mornings.

I need help!

Kathy

An_252739 responded:
Heather,
What did you decide to do? I along with you, have horrible migraines 2x a month and take imitrex. My husband says I'm only pleasant 2/4 weeks of the month so I understand exactly how you feel. I have 2 kids and work full-time as a 2nd grade teacher- constant exhaustion and irritability. I had the ablation yesterday and am hoping with less heavy bleeding= less headaches. That's what my acupuncturist said as well....fingers crossed and I'm hoping you feel better!

explodinghead replied to An_252739's response:
Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your insights. I also get menstrual migraines, and am about to get an endometrial ablation for heavy menstruation. I am really hoping that this might lessen the migraines, which dramatically deplete my quality of life.

I know I need to try heavier medications for it than the ones I currently take - but am nervous to try the Maxalt melt that I've been prescribed because of the warning that it may cause stroke! I realise that this is a 'worst case scenario', but it freaks me out all the same. I have young children and I certainly don't need to be debilitated any more than I already am!

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
48 of 65 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center