Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier
WebMD

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine
WebMD

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion
    WebMD

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community
    WebMD

Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Palm Oil and migraines
Cary1951 posted:
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a connection to eating PALM OIL in food with their migraines. Everytime I eat any food with any amount of palm oil or any palm derivitives in it, I experience an extreme headache(one the feels like a migraine except it is located over entire top of head instead of one sided), or a migraine one. Usually the headache follows only short time after ingestion . Many times it is impossible for me to read the contents of a food when I am away from home , so I am fearful of eating any processed foods. I am finding that more and more processed food manufacturers are including palm oil in their products.

lisahauer09 responded:
It's good you found a trigger. I think I have actually heard the same thing about palm oil sometime way back. They do seem to put it in a lot of things.

pibble01 responded:
Palm and also be careful of coconut oil

monkey2554 responded:
I can't believe someone else has this same problem. I just made the connection not long ago. I would have weird headaches. I would get light headed and then this really bad headache would start and last at 24 hours. I started using almond milk with cereal in the morning and low and behold there was a palm oil dirivitive in it. Now that I have stopped using it, the headaches have subsided.

louiemeng responded:
I too get headaches that last for days after palm oil. Now I try to read ingredients lists looking for vegetable oil.
Palm oil can be listed as Vegetable Oil, for instance in brands of fudge (not made with traditional butter !!, or added to butter), potato crisps, soup cubes, biscuits, packs of stuff in instant noodle packs. If you have a product which is stable without refrigeration and has oil, there is a good chance palm oil is in it. I have been told this is an oil which can be more or less solid at room temperature.
I suspect restaurants and food halls add flavorings and spices with palm oil as an ingredient as I have problems with some Asian dishes, depending where I go.

itmatsb responded:
Other additives in processed foods can also cause migraines according to a number of other people. So watch out if you notice any correlations. (I haven't myself.)

palmlheadachefrance0651921047 responded:
im living in france i can t suopport palm oil or manioc

im happy to discover other person with my allergie

0651921047 im in france and i want to answer doctor in biochimie to resolv our problem

palmlheadachefrance0651921047 replied to monkey2554's response:
m in france and i have headhache with palm oil and amidon of manioc i want to answer biochimic doctor professor to resolv our problem

palmlheadachefrance0651921047 replied to pibble01's response:
m in france and i have headhache with palm oil and amidon of manioc i want to answer biochimlic doctor professor to resolv opur problem

palmlheadachefrance0651921047 replied to lisahauer09's response:
m in france and i have headhache with palm oil and amidon of manioc i want to answer biochimlic doctor professor to resolv opur problem

Helpful Tips

Post-concussion headaches
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) can provide significant relief for headaches that are concussion symptoms. My husband's first 3 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center