Skip to content
Palm Oil and migraines
Cary1951 posted:
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a connection to eating PALM OIL in food with their migraines. Everytime I eat any food with any amount of palm oil or any palm derivitives in it, I experience an extreme headache(one the feels like a migraine except it is located over entire top of head instead of one sided), or a migraine one. Usually the headache follows only short time after ingestion . Many times it is impossible for me to read the contents of a food when I am away from home , so I am fearful of eating any processed foods. I am finding that more and more processed food manufacturers are including palm oil in their products.

lisahauer09 responded:
It's good you found a trigger. I think I have actually heard the same thing about palm oil sometime way back. They do seem to put it in a lot of things.

pibble01 responded:
Palm and also be careful of coconut oil

monkey2554 responded:
I can't believe someone else has this same problem. I just made the connection not long ago. I would have weird headaches. I would get light headed and then this really bad headache would start and last at 24 hours. I started using almond milk with cereal in the morning and low and behold there was a palm oil dirivitive in it. Now that I have stopped using it, the headaches have subsided.

louiemeng responded:
I too get headaches that last for days after palm oil. Now I try to read ingredients lists looking for vegetable oil.
Palm oil can be listed as Vegetable Oil, for instance in brands of fudge (not made with traditional butter !!, or added to butter), potato crisps, soup cubes, biscuits, packs of stuff in instant noodle packs. If you have a product which is stable without refrigeration and has oil, there is a good chance palm oil is in it. I have been told this is an oil which can be more or less solid at room temperature.
I suspect restaurants and food halls add flavorings and spices with palm oil as an ingredient as I have problems with some Asian dishes, depending where I go.

itmatsb responded:
Other additives in processed foods can also cause migraines according to a number of other people. So watch out if you notice any correlations. (I haven't myself.)

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center