Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
I have frequent migraines
An_205121 posted:
I get frequent migraines and i can seem to get them to go away even though i am on a preventive med what can i do

allie_bf responded:
Unfortunately, finding the right combination of medications for migraines in each person is a trial-and-error process. If you have been on your current preventative for a while, and it really isn't working, you may have to speak with your doctor about trying something else. Some people get lucky the first time around, but they're the exception, not the rule. Keep in mind, too, that the goal is to have fewer migraines; expecting to have none sets an unrealistic goal that, in itself, can produce stress, and perhaps more migraines.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
I agree with allie_bf--the right medication is not always the first medication you get. All of them work, but they don't work for every patient. If your current medications are not working, talk with your doctor about trying something else.

if your doctor doesn't have anything else to try, ask for a referral to a headache expert.

KatInTheCorner responded:
Finding the right preventive medication is usually a looong process of trial and error. I've been on 5 in the last three years, and am about to try Botox.

But in the meantime, there is a lot you can do to improve your quality of life.

First, are you keeping a migraine diary? That is very important to help you identify your triggers. Trigger managment is half the battle. Keeping a list of what you're eating, or what you did that day, or what the weather is like can give you a better idea of what is triggering your attacks. That can help you avoid them, or at least know when they are coming.

What about lifestyle changes? Three things I always recommend are 1) sleep hygeine 2) stay hydrated 3) cut out as much processed food as possible. For the first, a good nights sleep is really important, and lack of sleep is a common trigger. Also, being tired will often make us more susceptible to other triggers. Second, staying hydrated is important, because dehydration is another stackable trigger. As for number three, even if you don't have food triggers (I know I don't) all the gunk and garbage in processed foods really isn't great for our oh so delicate systems.

Also, you can try yoga, tai chi, massage therapy, acupuncture, aromatherapy. They may not be preventives, but like chicken soup, they couldn't hurt

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center