Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Upper Back Pain, Belching, Abdominal Pain, Constipation, Head Aches
natemhanson posted:
I am a male, 23 years old. I used to be very active, but for the past 3 years, strange things have been going on for me -- most of which I have had tested and been provided no answers.

1. 3 years ago started tons of belching. I belch after I eat as if I need to clear it all out of my chest/stomach. Sometimes it makes me feel as though I'm going to throw up. I feel like none of the food gets digested and sits in my stomach or esophagus. It was bad from 2008-09, then better during 2009 before suddenly returning in 2009 and continuing to present. I have had a HIDA Scan (69% draining), Ultrasound (normal), Endoscopy (showed general redness in esop and stomach), allergy testing (normal) and have taken Prevacid for 3 years (doesn't really help with these symptoms.) GI doc thought maybe IBS-C and GERD.

2. I also sometimes have abdominal pain right below my ribcage in the middle.

3. Bloating. More during spells, but also normally, I have a lot of visibal and painful bloating. My stomach sticks out and I push my stomach out and pull it back in to try to gain relief.

NOTE: Both the belching and abdominal pain is worse during spells (see: "SPELLS" below.)

4. A year ago (August 2009) I started having sever upper back pain that never goes away. I did 6 weeks physical therapy/chiropractic care (no relief), 2 thoracic spine MRI's (normal), a chest CT scan (normal) and X-ray (normal) and acupuncture (no relief). It is always bad, sometimes terrible. It's between my shoulder blades, kind of under them. It's a tightness that I try to "pull" at by moving my back around. Sometimes I hear a "tear" and then some of the pressure releases a little bit. Sometimes it feels like something is sitting inside my chest pushing at both my chest and my back. MRI/CT shows nothing.

5. I have a dull, nagging pain in my lower back on the right side. Almost like something is sitting below my ribs but above the top of my hip bone. It gets worse before I have and while I'm having spells (see: "SPELLS" below.)

SPELLS: I have spells every week or 5 days where I can feel my right, lower back start to hurt and I get increased belching and abdominal pain. Head aches often come with these too. I get very uneasy, dizzy and know I'm having a "spell." They are becoming more frequent and painful. Sometimes, the day before the spell I'll have a bigger, looser bowel movement and then sometimes have few BM's during the spell.

In the spells come migraines that start in the back of my head and go through to above my eye (usually just one eye... often left.) They are extremely painful.

DIET: Slowly, since August 2009, I have limited my eating to almost nothing because it doesn't feel good to eat and I feel sick before I eat (loss of appetite). For the past 2 months I've drank a dietary supplement too. I got off Gluten and Dairy 2 months ago (didn't help) so my diet every day is:
- Brown rice waffles w/ peanut butter in the mornings.
- Brown rice waffle sandwich with eggs and deli meat for lunch.
- Brown rice waffles w/ peanut butter and a piece of chicken.

The strangest thing is that no tests ever come back positive for anything (except my ANA, which has been high for 3 years, but a rheumatologist ran a ton of blood tests and says it is a false positive.)

I was bad for a year and a half (from early 2007 to summer 2008) and then I was better (no belching, stomach pains, back pain or "spells") from summer 2008 until August 2009 when my back pain started and digestive problems started up again.

If I had digestive problems, why would I be better for a year in the middle of digestive problems?! My back hurts very bad all the time!

I don't know where to turn next. Please help.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
For the back/ neck pain, you could try seeing a pain spec. Also your headaches are probably coming form your neck issues. I would see a digestive health spec for the stomach pain. For me, nexium helps for indigestion.

MrEcks responded:
try suggesting to your primary care provider that seeing a neurologist might be beneficial and suggest to them that you are possibly suffering from "abdominal migraines." They are rare (reportedly only affecting 2% of the population, and mostly in young children), but do occur in adults.
You can read aobut them here-http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/abdominal-migraines-children-adults

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I think you should get your galbladder checked, and also a liver biopsy. The pain you have in your back is probably from gas built up in your body. Try not to go too long without food, or that could trigger a migraine. Also get checked for cluster headaches.

carpetcrawler5 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Also straining while having constipation can trigger a headache.

An_205124 responded:
Your symptoms sound remarkably similar to mine. I have almost all of the same symptoms minus the headaches. More specifically, I get isolated bone pain - as well as the lower back pain - and can press on, say, my shin and it will release extreme belches. This started after my first bout of Lyme Disease and antibiotics. I'm convinced that that combo plus some predispositions have triggered a sensitive intestine as well as a high gluten intolerance. More than likely I have celiac disease. Otherwise, no doctor or healer has any answer about my bone pain, back/organ pain, and belching.

I also adamantly practice at least 20 minutes of yoga postures, specific breathing practices, and a few minutes minimum of meditation every single day no matter what. This helps immensely both mitigate the physical and psychological symptoms.

I'd recommend you get tested for celiac and then, regardless, try the gluten-free diet again and this time be sure you're 100% gluten-free every day for at least 2 months. (Sammy's Bakery in FL has a website; you can order awesome gluten-free bread products from bagels to pizza crusts.) And go to a beginner's yoga class and learn from a good teacher specific breathing practices.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds dreadful. Good luck.

smasgirl responded:
I have had symptoms like yours expecially the Migraines. They seem to be tied to the Gerd, as soon as the burning in my esophagus starts then I get a terrible pain in the back of my head that winds up right behind my left eye. The pain is so intense that I cannot move and I can only lie on the floor and sweat pours from every pore in my body until I am completely exhausted. This can go on for a few hours. I wish i knew what would stop the migraines. I can't take it much longer. I felt compelled to write as not many people described the same exact symptoms. If I find a solution I will come back and try to share it. May God have mercy on us all.

desichica responded:
about a week ago I began experiencing very similar symptoms. I'm traveling abroad and the doctors are baffled. If you know of any temporary relief ( atleast until I can return home) I would greatly appreciate it. I hope for your sake that you find a cure soon!

rapheheals responded:
natemhanson, I don t know exactly how long you have been suffering but I feel for you. Maybe you are bettter by now? Let us know when you get a chance. I too have had these spells many years ago. The exact symptoms as yours. Please get your gall bladder checked, check for gallstones, and check for hietal hernia. I am female and was young at the time I was having these spells. I suffered. However I was able to get rid of my gallstones without taking my gall bladder out. With adjustments from my chiropractor she helped me with the hietal hernia by using a tennis ball! ! It worked. SHe changed my diet which greatly helped getting me to drink organic apple cider vinegar mixed with lots of water before every meal. I could barely taste the vinegar.THis helped prepare my stomach for food. I did this vinegar prep for about four months. (Can t go too long ACV is not good on the teeth when you drink it. You can find organic ACV tablets as a better option.) 11 years later I am way better but I always pay attention to how I eat as well as take from time to time herbal pills good for gall bladder, as well as vitamins,. I flush with lots of water. I hope my experience helps you. Much success.

Sally00 replied to rapheheals's response:
Have you seen a gastroentologist? I suffered for years with the same symptoms and was finally diagnosed with gastroparesis ... which is a stomach motility problem. Stomach does not pass food into intestines as it should ... food remains in stomach for days, acid builds up causing pain that can last for hours, vomiting, belching, and gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD).

See a gastroenterologist who will do an endoscopy (look into your stomach with a scope under light anesthesia). I take 40 mg Nexium every A.M. and 2 Pepcid AC at bedtime.

Your doctor will probably put you on the GERD diet ... avoid citrus, chocolate (!can't do it!) and "dark" liquids (coffee, tea, cola, etc). There's a whole list of things to avoid.

Whether this ends up being your problem or not, I sincerely hope you get it checked out and are feeling better soon.

spaceystacyliz replied to MrEcks's response:
I just wanted to second this. Migraine can cause all kinds of symptoms, and even with "regular" migraines (as opposed to abdominal, which is a distinctly possible, as this poster pointed out) digestion can be extremely impaired in all kinds of lovely ways (such as constipation or diarrhea), and some even say that belching helps to relieve the head pain, which sounds crazy! But so much about migraine sounds crazy. Also, it is possible (if you are a migraine sufferer) to get a migraine occasionally which has all of your usual symptoms except the head pain. Just to confuse the issue further, right? I sympathize whole heartedly, because I have chronic migraines but also weird "spells" in which my usual symptoms are modified in such a way that I wonder if there is another issue underneath the whole migraine syndrome thing. Still trying to tease that out myself! My biggest fear is chronic fatigue. But anyway, best of luck--it takes patience and perseverance, according to those who have come out the other end with a better understanding of their symptoms. Still working on the patience thing myself!

ncfalcon responded:
There is a myofascial trigger point identified by Simons and Travell in their books called the belch button. It is located in the lateral abdominal muscles. It is not common but important to those who have it. The trigger point can be on the left or right side just below the angle of the twelfth rib as it attaches to the spine.
See the book, "Trigger Point Workbook" by Claire Davies for techniques to self treat trigger points. However, Davies does not address the Belch Button.
I have problems with it and use a ball about 1.2 inches in diameter which I place between the wall and my back and roll the ball over the trigger point. This will elicit belches but once the trigger point is inactivated your problems may improve.

Helpful Tips

Yoga Helps
Yoga is a good tool to reducing stress and the headaches that come with it. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center