Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Desperate for help
An_205138 posted:
I have had migraines since I was 10. I am 48 now. I have been through every preventative and existing treatment known to the medical community and they work for awhile but always fizzle. I seem to have two very distint types of migraines. Sometimes I get aura and no headache. Sometimes I get aura and vertigo. Then the really bad ones I have the painful headache, vertigo, aura, nausea and other gastrointestanal symptons. In addition to migraines I have two autoimmune diseases; Hashimotos Hypothyroidism and pernicious anemia. As I have entered perimenapause my migraines have increased in frequency. I am back on calcium channel blockers for prevention and for high blood pressure. Will there ever be a cure? Frustrated and desperate for a solution.

allie_bf responded:
I also have 2 distinct headache patterns: one with aura, and one without, and the two headaches occur in different locations so it's unusual, but I know it can happen. Unfortunately, migraines often worsen in perimenopause, but (supposedly) they can improve afterwards. At least I hope so, too. It makes sense that they would, as they started with the beginning of my period years ago. One thing I have found, however, is that, while migraine medications have a limited effectiveness span, the preventatives that no longer work can be rotated so that one used years ago will work again. I'm now on my second go-round with several of them, but I'm hoping for a definitive cure, too.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
I don't know if there will be a cure for headaches, but there are new treatments on the way. Like allie_bf noted, some patients can "rotate" between several prevention medications, switching when one loses effectiveness.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Look up all of your medications and see if they have headache as a side effect. Many high blood pressure meds can cause headaches. There are several that help headaches tho, such as Propanolol.

Try to get some excercise such as swimming and walking in cool weather. It can help your blood circulate better.

Also put ice around your head. There are sheets of non-drip ice that you can cut into strips and wrap in bandanas and put in the freezer. It's called techni-ice.

Do the meds you're taking help?

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center