Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
showupforlife
showupforlife posted:
I wake up so often with a "bad" migraine, it makes me afraid to go to sleep at night. Therefore I have restless sleep which I know is not good for me and my migraine prevention.

Sillly1 responded:
I know what you mean as I have the same problem. And my Dr. cannot seem to find an answer. This is getting very old for me cause I am missing so much work (fortunately my boss understands most of the time) but when I don't work I don't get paid for the days missed. And, like you it makes me afraid to go to sleep at night, etc. Good luck and hopefully things will get better for both of us.

wouldlikerelief replied to Sillly1's response:
To Silly and showupforlife: if you both wake up with headaches, maybe you have bad pillows, maybe you clench your teeth when you sleep (tmj) maybe you tense your shoulders real tight when you sleep. I do all the above and I have degenerative disc disease in my neck, so I'm in real good shape. You might try a night guard for your mouth? Just a suggestion. Also not enough sleep can cause headaches all by itself.

wouldlikerelief responded:
Do you clench your teeth at night? Because I think we all know that sleep alone is not going to give anyone a headache. So it has to be something you do while you're asleep. Also, you have to know your triggers, what sets off your migraines, like red wine, chocolate, smoke, bologna.....if you're not seeing a neurologist, you need to see one so he can evaluate you and get you on a migraine treatment or prevention (whatever). I wake up with headaches all the time as well. I feel your pain. I also go to bed with them. And yes I see a neurologist. We're trying. Some days are better than others. You do what you can right? Best of luck!!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
There are several causes for morning headache: bruxism (grinding or clenching the teeth), sleep apnea, and migraine.

Your dentist can look for signs of grinding teeth.

Your medical doctor can test for sleep apnea (usually an over night sleep study), and can evaluate for migraines.

If there is no medical cause found, it can still be due to migraine, and usually improved with the same type of medications we use for migraine prevention.

showupforlife replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I've had a sleep study with no sleep apnea. I have also tried sleeping with a mouth piece to keep from grinding my teeth with no relief. I sleep with a "water pillow" from my chiroprator and I love it. I am also on Inderal, Topamax, and Keppra for migraine prevention. I also have been diagnosed with clinical depression and take Effexor and klonopin for that. I see a neurologist and pyschiatrist regularly (they prescribe my meds). Relpax helps sometimes if I catch the migraine early enough. I guess I will just have to live with my headaches and work the days I am headache free or at least work with the mild ones. I am a teacher so it is difficult to prepare lesson plans everyday when I "think" I might have a migraine. Thanks for all of your responses!! It helps to know that I am not the only one out there!!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to showupforlife's response:
If you still have headaches every morning on those medications (and you have been on them for more than 2 months), The medications don't seem to be helping.

If the medications are not helping, it is probably time to try another medication. If you have been on all the medications normally used for headache prevention, you may want to talk with your doctor about a consultation with an anesthesiologist who does nerve blocks for headaches.

Not all anesthesia pain management MD's do nerve blocks for headaches. There are some nerve blocks that can work very well for headaches, and a nerve stimulator that also works for daily headaches.

jessilove2010 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
What exactly is a 'nerve block' ??
I have had migraines since I was 12..and am on topamax with other meds for onset. I still have about 2-4 migraines a month that last 2-3 days each time. But it's the best combo of meds I've found.
This is a term/technique I haven't heard about. Can you explain just a bit??

carpetcrawler5 replied to jessilove2010's response:
I'm assuming the nerve block would be for neck problems that trigger migraines. I haven't heard that it works for regular ones, and if it is, my neurologist certainly hasn't suggested it for me. But that doesn't mean he always knows about the latest things, I sometimes have to suggest things to him.

carpetcrawler5 replied to showupforlife's response:
Have you looked up all your medications to check their side effects? Some of them may cause headaches. Also so does having depression itself.

Helpful Tips

Headache relief
I get headaches on a regular basis and they are due to my neck and upper back being tight and sore. I was taking over the counter medicine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center