Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Migraines and macular degeneration
Sillly1 posted:
I have had migraines for several years and recently they have become more severe and more often. My Dr had a CT scan done and it showed everything to be fine. I am on a migraine preventive medicine plus meds for the migraines. I am now at the point that I am having to get shots for the migraines, not often, but yet too often for me, if you know what I mean.

Now to my actual question; I went to the eye Dr the other day as I am not seeing like I thought I should. He told me I was in the beginning stage of macular degeneration. I was so dumbfounded I didn't think to ask questions. I am wondering if there is a correlation between the migraines and the macular degeneration? I am going to ask my medical doctor about this too, but just wondered if anyone on here might know something about this or one of the doctors on here that answers questions might know. Any imput would be appreciated.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
Unfortunately there is no link between macular degeneration and migraine.

Vision changes are an uncommon cause of migraines, but I've recently seen a few patients with headaches caused by blurred vision (and their headaches resolved once they "gave in" and started wearing reading classes)

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Migraines become chronic because the more you get, the more sensitive your head is to triggers. I would think any type of eye problem might cause headaches, but I guess you could ask your opthamologist.

Helpful Tips

A good read for overall migraine conditions
http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-migraine-triggers-10505 More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center