Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Things About You Thursday - What is Failing?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Today is Things About You Thursday, which means it's your day to share your viewpoints on some thoughtful question I post.

Last week we talked about how old we would be if we didn't know how old we were . This week, I'd like to ask you about success, failure and perseverence. So, here's your thought-provoking question for the week:

• Which is worse, failing or never trying?

Share your thoughts and any experiences you've had (or have seen) below in the comments. I'll wait til a few of you have replied before I chime in with my thoughts.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I guess it would be a matter of whether you're talking about a real ladder or it's a uphunism (sorry I don't know how that word is spelled so I guessed it)

Moxie1956 responded:
This question hits close to home: Which is worse, failing or never trying?

I can tell you I failed only when I didn't try. I've often quipped that my mother did not teach me how to thrive, but she sure taught me how to survive. For years, my coping skills carried me along from adolescence all the way through myriad jobs, marriage, parenting, homeschooling them K-12, and having an accomplished paraprofessional career with the YMCA for nearly 10yrs. Of the latter, I was forced to quit because certain medical conditions prevented me from satisfying the position's requirements. My coping skills had run out. I had no fight left in me; I was exhausted.

It's now 3yrs later. I have applied for SSDI 2x. I have become a semi-recluse; my social skills have atrophied. One's world becomes very small when it's only the 4 walls to look upon.

In mid-October, I got angry. I got angry at myself for becoming a victim. Sure, I've got a few medical issues, but not one of them is life-threatening! And, sure, my med issues prevent me from doing what I used to be able to do. So what?

I decided to create a NEW reality, a new base line, if you will. I've taken into consideration my qualifications, my limitations, and I decided to go back to college to pursue another paraprofessional career, one that will allow me to work with learning disabled students.

I begin my studies in January; financial grants have paid for tuition and books, and my studies are online until the field work. Education whets my appetite for more, so I'm expecting to get quite a boost out of this 2yr period, and, who knows, maybe I'll go on to a 4yr degree! It doesn't matter, not right now. What matters is I got up out of my recliner, took a shower, fixed my hair, put on something other than pjs, and made a decision to better my lot.

My 19yr old son said to me when he found out about my new line of action, "Mom, I'm glad to see you are not giving up." I don't need anymore encouragement than that!

Trying is not failing. Failing is not trying.

LAEMAN responded:
I would say never trying. My marriage failed after 25 years, but I wouldn't have 2 children that I love had I not tried. And had doubts the night before the wedding if I should really go thru with it, and since I did, then I needed to try. Which I did try for 25 years and have many good things to be thankful for. So yes, never trying is worse.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center