Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Stabbing pain in left temple
chippi1 posted:
Hi, New here and would appreciate any feedback. Have had stabbing pain in my left temple for two days now that is excrutiating and only last a couple seconds, but is on/off constantly all day. After having low blood pressure all my life 90/60 or lower, I have recently been diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension. I started getting dizzy, having nosebleeds, headaches that debilitated me, so I had it checked and it was 165/95, not good. So off to the doc I went who put me on lisinopril, been on about a week now. I did have a TIA back in May and have been on Plavix for that and also have high cholesterol, which I take simvistatin for. I am not a headache person, before the blood pressure started to rise, I rarely, in 45 yrs. got a headache. The headaches I had before the B/P diagnosis and new med were not like this, with that my entire head hurt w pressure. This is sharp, stabbing pains just in the temple. Any ideas???? Thank you

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
This could be due to your high blood pressure, or due to an unrelated problem. There is an inflammation/ irritation of the artery in the temple that can cause similar symptoms. Cluster headache can also cause similar pains. You should talk with your doctor about it.

chippi1 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Hi again, Thank you Timothy for the reply. The headaches were due to the high blood pressure. Went to the doctor, she put me on a med and headaches went away, and pressure went down somewhat. Thank you, Chippi

Helpful Tips

helping a migraine
soemtimes when i eat dark chocolate when i feel a migraine coming on it helps. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center