Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Aberrant smells and associated headache
Yenna76114 posted:
I was diagnosed with Migraine Syndrome many years ago. After menopause, migraines almost never occur. Now I have started smelling burning plastic frequently. Very strong, bothersome odor. Nauseating. After about an hour of this, I get a frontal headache. Not one sided like my usual migraines, just center frontal. This smell usually continues for several days. I had surgery this past May on my shoulder and it seems to have started after that. Could it be anesthesia related? Is there medication I can take for this? Should I consider consulting neurology?

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
This is something you should see a neurologist about. Anesthesia side effects would not last this long.

This may be a migraine, but I would recommend a MRI scan of the brain to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Yenna76114 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
Thank you for your quick response. I will make PCP appt. and get a referral for a neurologist appointment.

Helpful Tips

Headache relief
I get headaches on a regular basis and they are due to my neck and upper back being tight and sore. I was taking over the counter medicine ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center