Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Migraine
kbunch34 posted:
I have been suffering from migraines for almost 2 years now. After a neurologist change I was given an MRI of the brain and neck. It showed that I have cervical disc disease C3, C4. I am currently undergoing physical therapy and have an appointment for pain management. What I am unsure of is does/can cervical disc disease contribute to migraines?

suzkish; responded:
in my personal experience, YES.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kbunch34,

Sorry you are in pain and I hope you find relief soon. Here is a link that discusses neck problems and injury. The link states:

"Neck pain may feel like a "kink," stiffness, or severe pain. Pain may spread to the shoulders, upper back, or arms, or it may cause a headache. Neck movement may be limited, usually more to one side than the other. Neck pain refers to pain anywhere from the area at the base of the skull into the shoulders. The neck includes:

The bones and joints of the cervical spine (vertebrae of the neck).
The discs that separate the cervical vertebrae and absorb shock as you move.
The muscles and ligaments in the neck that hold the cervical spine together."

Many medical conditions can cause migraines and I hope your doctor is able to help figure out why you are having them. Please let us know how your appointment with the pain management doctor goes.

Feel free to join in on our discussions and share with the community.

Lainey

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
There are a lot of people with mainly neck pain, who have migraines triggered by the neck pain. Treatment of the neck pain with epidural steroids or "medial branch block" (a type of nerve block" can help.

NeNe_11 replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
I Have fibro with a ton of neck pain. I notice that the worse my neck pain, the more liklihood of a migraine and also, the worse my migraine, the stiffer my neck becomes.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center