Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
severe migraine maxed out on pain meds
Laura0711 posted:
This morning at 5:27am I woke up with severe staping pain above my left eye. I took a dose of my pain meds with very little relief and I tried to sleep with no luck so I then took something to help me sleep. That also didn't work at 11:30 am I took another dose of my pain meds and I still have very little relief. I don't know what else to do. For pain meds I take Fiorinal but I can only take 4 of them in 24hrs. So I don't know what to do the rest of the day.

If anyone has any advice about what to try to get rid of this headache, would be wonderful.I know the weather is mostly causing this headache because we are suppose to be getting snow to night.

Thank You,

Laura

Laura0711 responded:
Please help this headache is just not going away and I don't know what else to try. I've been sleeping most of the day but even that hasn't helped.

Any advise would be greatly welcomed. I'm so frustrated.right now.

Thanks,

Laura

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to Laura0711's response:
Laura, unfortunately there are few medications that you can get over the counter that help in this situation. You can try taking 50 mg of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) which will help you sleep.

You may need to see you doctor for a shot at this point. Once this episode is over, you should talk with your headache doctor about rescue medications and see if there is anything else you can try.

carpetcrawler5 replied to Laura0711's response:
Where did you get the Fiorinal? Was it from your regular dr or a nuerologist? That isn't a good thing to keep taking because it can cause rebound headaches. There is a medication you can take to prevent headaches that also helps you sleep, called Amitriptyline. But you really need to go thru the avenues of getting tested and making a calendar every day to find triggers in whatever you did, and take it to your dr. Such as the weather changes.

Hopefully we have helped you today. Things will get better for you.

Laura0711 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I take Fiorinal because none of the other migraine meds work and I take a med to prevent headaches called Nortriptylin 50mg at bedtime. I mostly do get headaches when the pressure changes and we have a storm moving in to the area. Thanks for your advice and if you have any more it would welcomed.

Thank You,

Laura

SharonLN replied to Timothy Collins, MD's response:
How about going gluten-free????? I wish someone , anyone dr. or otherwise would have suggested as much to me! It works!! Amazing after all these years trying to find "triggers" and eliminating all of them.....except GLUTEN!!
Please let these people know they should at least give it a try, it is not difficult to do! The results are amazing! I couldn't be more thankful!!! I have suffered with migraine/aura headaches since I was 10 and I am now 60!!! Go figure!!

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center