Skip to content
Neck and shoulder cramping that leads to headaches
jneddin posted:
I have been getting cramps in my neck and shoulders for a little more than a week now just about everyday, the kind you get when you are very inactive and they lead to headaches. I had a bad cold before this so I didn't move around alot and blamed any headaches I got on the pressure from the cold but now the cold is gone and I am back to my normal routine and these still happend daily. If I take exedrine once a day it seems to get rid of it all the entire day but I have tried to not the last couple days and yesterday I pushed through but today it was too bad. Sometimes the headaches make me dizzy when I stand up and walk around. Anyone have any advice I hate taking any kind of medication and dont unless it is absolutly neccissary and really would like to find out how to get rid of these for good.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
How old are you? What type of work do you do? It may just get worse, and it's common for that type of pain to lead to headaches. More OTCs should work for awhile, but you should really go and see your dr about this. There are steroid shots you can get in your neck, I get them once a year for the headaches I get from my neck pain. Also physical therapy could help, but it can be expensive and insurance might not pay for it all. If none of those things work, you may need to see a pain spec. They can give you special devices such as a TENS unit to take home.

jneddin replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Thanks I am 25 and a stay at home mom.

allie_bf responded:
Chiropractic may also help with this type of neck/shoulder pain. Aside from the manual adjustments, chiropracters use many of the same range of motion and isometric exercises that physical therapists use. Most major health plans also include this as a benefit so check out the possibility of reimbursement for your visits, or see if your plan has a preferred provider.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center