Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stinging Sensation
WKennon posted:
I get this breif stinging sensation in my head at least once every few days and sometimes more than once a day. It only last for a few seconds, and varies in degrees of pain, but sometimes it's enough to stop me for a moment. It can happen anywhere in my head, but usually it's on the sides and happens especially when I'm lying down.

It's been happening for years now, and I had a catscan about a year ago for sinusitis, but it was happening long before that. They didn't find anything serious in the catscan and I didn't think to mention it, but now I'm wondering if it's normal. I thought that maybe it was a female thing considering I'm a 20 year old healthy female. I don't take any medication. I'm not overweight. I don't drink, smoke, or do any other sort of drug. When I mentioned it to my mother though she had no clue what I was trying to explain to her. So I decided to see if anyone on here might have a clue what I'm talking about before I pay to go to a doctor.

sapphire9856 responded:
Hi, it sounds like you are having the same symptoms as myself. my post is below yours under"pain on side of head", I have been wondering the same thing as what could be wrong with me. I am not having any other symptoms, so I really didn't want to go to the dr. to have an mri. but what you describe is really more of what i am feeling, you just described it better. are you having any other symptoms? let me know if you figure what is wrong with you.

WKennon responded:
Hello... No I don't have any other symptoms other than sometimes I'll get a mild headache after it happens, but not every time. I'll let you know if I find anything out. I've been searching everywhere online and haven't found anything that sounds right. I may end up going to a doctor anyway. It has to be happening for a reason, pain is supposed to tell you something is wrong so obviously something is wrong. Major or not, I don't like not knowing what it might be. When I was seventeen I started noticing it, but I shrugged it off because it wasn't that bad, but it seems like it's gotten a bit worse over the years so now I really want to know what it is. None of my family memebers seem to know which has really got me asking because before that I thought it was something normal.

sapphire9856 responded:
Hi, I had to get up a little early because my head hurt so bad from laying on it. I might eventially go to the dr. but, sometimes i am afraid that they will think it is in my head (litterally) I have been seen before for migraines, this though is nothing like that. I am like you also, very healthy, don't smoke, drink, drugs, healthy weight, blood pressure is good. I have looked online and can't find anything either. my daughter is also a nurse and she has no idea either (that doesn't help) you are the first one that i have found that has the same symptoms. so maybe soon one of us will be able to help the other. Have a good day!

lisahauer09 responded:
It sort of sounds like you may have a pinched nerve in your neck maybe.

cindyatmb64 responded:
I just found this by searching the internet. I too am having an abnormal stinging sensation in my head. Right now it is on the right side forehead. It does concern me, because I had blood clots in my head in 2011. I do have migraines, but right now it is just the stinging. After having the serious health issues this does make me nervous. I can't afford to go to a neurologist right now. I was hoping to find some possible reasons online. Not looking for the worst...actually hoping to ease my mind.

jamaria25 replied to lisahauer09's response:
you might of just helped me I wake up with severe stinging and because I have a plate in my neck I am now thinking that a pinched nerve may be possible. this morning it was so bad that I almost called an ambulance because I got very nauseas and I also have a stent I am going to speak to my neurologist when I go because that could also be causing my migraines which I get more than 15 times a month. thank you

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center