Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Please Help Me!
Kanyegirl416 posted:
I am 15 years old and for the past few months I've been experiencing these headaches that don't seem to follow any special pattern. Sometimes there is a throbbing on the right and left side of my head and other times it is on top. When I experience these headaches they are very short lasting from 5-10 seconds and then when they are done I feel this tiny headaches afterwards in the sameplace that doesn't hurt but kind of lets me know the headache is finished. Sometimes when I get up I get dizzy and I have to hold my head for a while before I can start walking. I have been a healthy Strep Throat Carrier since I was born and never have I experienced symptoms like these. Just last night while I was watching the Golden Globes I sat down on the couch and it felt like someone was taking the tip of a knife and poking me in the back of my head. While I'm typing this there is a throbbing in the back of my head and I have no idea what to do or how to stop it. When I'm outside it gets worst and the headaches grow longer. I have had my tubes in my ears removed and my ears have always been sensitive to loud noises but when I hear loud noises now the headaches grow worse and sometimes the headaches feel like they are deep inside my ears. I don't know what to do and I feel like if I just keep ignoring them they will grow worse over time. Please help me!

allie_bf responded:
Of course only your doctor can provide an accurate diagnosis, but possibilities to consider might include ice pick headaches (which would explain the "poking" sensation) or migraines (which would explain the "throbbing" and the sensitivity to sound.) Both typically start in girls during the junior high and high school years. Neither are dangerous in themselves, nor will they necessarly progress to something worse, but they can be disabling to the extent that you can lose a lot of productive school and activity/family/sports time if they aren't treated. Talk to your parents about getting seen for your headaches; if you don't have a family doctor, your school nurse or an adult friend may have a recommendation. If cost is an issue, there are public health clinics in most counties, and Walmart has many Rx headache medications at a discounted price. Don't wait, you need to feel better!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
I agree with allie_bf, these sound like migraine, which often starts at about this age. There are several medications that are on the wallmart and target $4 list that work for migraines, talk with your doctor about treatment choices. (you can also read about medications for migraine under the TIPS section on this webpage.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
Also you need to get an MRI to see if there's not something else going on.

Helpful Tips

Botox for Headaches FDA approvedExpert
Many of you have heard that Botox (botulinum toxin) has been approved by the FDA for chronic daily headaches or migraines. Chronic daily ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center