Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Namenda
nobody102 posted:
Aynone using Namenda for migraine prevention?

Sillly1 responded:
That is one I have never heard of. More info on it would be nice if you have it or I can look it up. Good luck as you have my heartfelt sypmathy if you have migraines. Most people that don't have them do not understand the pain we are in and why we can't function.

NeNe_11 responded:
This is a medication for Alzheimer's, no? I read somewhere that it was being used off-label for migraines.

Curious to know how well it works!

Denise

nobody102 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Yes, it is an "off-label" med. I am a 20 year sufferer, and have tried just about every preventative med. getting 2-3 headaches/week is not fun. Maxalt MLT works wonders, but it is expensive, and my insurance limits to 4/month. So, at this point, I am open to try just about anything. I will keep you posted on my results.

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD replied to nobody102's response:
Namenda (generic name is memantine) is FDA approved for alzheimer's dementia in the US. It has been on the market in Europe for more than 15 years, and is used there for a variety of diagnosis.

There is only 1 trial of memantine for headache prevention that I have been able to find--it was an open label trial, which seemed to show effectivness.

It is hard to say how well it worked, because it was not a placebo controlled trial.

The medication has relatively few side effects, so it may be something to try (if your insurance will pay for it)

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center