Skip to content
Head Pain
bostonfan1977 posted:
Over the weekend my friend experienced two massive migrianes. Well thats what we think it is. The pain came on instantly no warning she stood up and was done for the night. She was hot then cold, vomiting and in severe pain more than any mirgaine. She is now at the ER again for the second time. What could this be?

mymygraine responded:
It is probably a migraine, but could be a symptom of something else depending on the age of your friend, if there were any specific triggers to the two attacks that were similar, that had never happened before, and lots of other variants. Google the National Intstitute of Headaches for the closest neurologist practitioner in your area with a specialty in headaches, call them, and find out what you need to make an appointment. You will usually need a referral from another doctor, so be prepared. The visit will take approximately 6 weeks to 3 months to get, depending on the doctor, and you will have to fork out $500-750 of your own money. The doctor will send you and 8-10 page form to fill out about the pain you are experiencing and ask you, if you have not already to start keeping a food diary of everything you eat, and when you get your headaches. This is normal procedures, and you should start doing this in any case. Also keep track of all your headaches, when they start (time of day), duration, what happens - as you described above - and what happens after the pain is gone, eg excessive tiredness, feeling of elation, more energy followed by a letdown, depression, whatever. Keep detailed records. If you have insurance your neurologist will probably want an MRI and/or a CT Scan which most insurance co's will pay for if pre-approved, so get that done through the doctor's office. By the time you get all that in place, the 6-10 weeks will be up and you will be ready to see the neurologist, and you will have a better picture of these headaches. They rarely come in twos and stop altogether if they or migraines, or if they are symptoms of something else. If they become really severe, so you cannot go to work, let your primary or whomever is giving you the referral know, and he can advocate for an earlier appointment on your behalf. Take a friend with you to the appointment so you get all you questions asked and they can write down all the answers, because the patient always hears things differently than another person.

Before the appointment do some research about migraines, and remember everyone is different. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another, so don't expect a miracle cure. Migraines cannot be cured, but they can be managed. You need to find the right doctor, and the right managment and proactivity on your part is the name of the game. I have be at this for 43 years, and I know what I am talking about. Write me if you have any questions. I know as much as most doctors, and in some cases more. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center