Skip to content
Could use some advice
traciq1234567 posted:
I have been having this strange, startlingly painful THROBBING headache in one spot on the right side of my head, near my temple. It's weird because it just comes on very suddenly, in a really piercing way, and lasts only about 2-3 seconds.
Sometimes it happens every 30 seconds or so; sometimes I'll go an hour without the sudden THROB -- then it startles me again with its brief intensity.
A friend suggested that it's pollen, even though it feels nothing like any allergy-related headache I've ever had, and several folks recommended Zyrtek. I figured it couldn't hurt. But it's not doing a thing to touch the headache.
The inconsistency is troubling, but so is the level of ACHE -- in such a short little spurt of time.
My boss went right to aneurism -- which made me feel terrific! But truthfully, if I go to a doctor, what's he gonna do?? I don't seem to have any other symptoms except this sporadic throbbing ache.

NeNe_11 responded:
If they continue your Dr. can order a brain scan to put you at ease.

carpetcrawler5 responded:
It sounds like ice pick headache. I would see a dr.

mymygraine responded:
I agree with carpetcrawler5. Go see a headache neurologist. It could be the start of something or it could be nothing. You'll have to lay out a few bucks, but it is worth finding out.

Helpful Tips

Supplements for headachesExpert
A lot of my patients ask about herbal supplements for headaches. There are very few studies of supplements for headaches, but there are ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center