Fed up with migraines.
Catey7 posted:
I have been getting severe migraines since i was a young child. People say that they seem to disappear with age, but mine have seemed to get worse. I get them once every 2-3 weeks and they last for about 5 days. I have a very high pain tolerance and with mine i would rather break a bone than get a migraine. I have taken Imitrex and all that did was make me throw up. Unfortunately, i have too many other medical problems so it's not at the top of my list of things to get checked out. Is this something i should move to the top of my list or is there something i can do at home to try and reduce the severity?

mymygraine responded:
How old are you now, and what have you done so far to stop the severity of your migraines? What regular treatment are you using, or are you using nothing at the moment, and do you have a headache neurologist you are working with?

Catey7 replied to mymygraine's response:
I'm 19 now and i can trace them back to when i was about 3 years old. I have taken Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Excedrin Migraine, Imitrex, changed my eating habits around, tried relaxing, reduced my activity level since that seems to trigger my migraines. Nothing has helped. At the moment i just deal with them until they disappear. I have been reccommended to a neurologist but i never ended up going because i have too many things going on medically.

NeNe_11 replied to Catey7's response:
I would see a Dr. & see if adding some preventative meds to help with the frequency of your headaches. You mention that you have other health issues so I assume you take other medications for those but a neurologist would know what meds would be ok to take.

You are so young & have been dealing with this your entire life..Me, Im 43 & have had migraines since about 30-headaches all of my life. There is nothing worse so I hope you will seek the help you need.
Take Care

Catey7 replied to NeNe_11's response:
Yes, hopefully i will be able to get things figured out. :) Migraines are just miserable and i don't want them anymore. But thanks. :)

carpetcrawler5 responded:
I agree you need to see a dr and then a neuro to get treated for this, if it's disrupting your life as much as that. Who gave you the Imitrex? I would ask them tio also get you on preventatives.

Also, look up all the meds you're taking and check side effects. Some of them may have headache as a side effect, although that's common for any meds.

carpetcrawler5 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
Also the next time you just start to get a migraine drink coffee right away, it might go away.

Catey7 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I think i may go see a neuro soon. My primary doctor gave me Imitrex. I will mention that to him though. None of the side effects are headaches. :/

Catey7 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
I will try that. Thanks. :)

mymygraine responded:
Try to get all your docs to talk to each other. This will not be easy, but your migraines may come from other medical issues and be exacerbated by drug interactions. A good headache neuro will be able to help here, although you will need a good push from someone other than yourself to get them to even send an e-mail to another doc. Based on what you've said, move the headaches to the top of your list. If you have other problems you do not want this one added. I have a high pain tolerance too, and will suffer a lot of pain before taking medication, but more recently, there are some meds that can prevent the migraines from starting. Good luck.

Catey7 replied to mymygraine's response:
Thanks for everything. :) I will definitely get things done. :)