Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is a Aura?
HanssenTheMighty posted:
What is an aura in regards to a Migraine or a Cluster Headache?

carpetcrawler5 responded:
In clusters, there isn't an "aura" that I've heard about. Have you had them? It would be lights or spots in your vision.

An_205219 replied to carpetcrawler5's response:
There is no light spots in my vision.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi HanssenTheMighty,

Welcome to the Headaches & Migraine community.

According to WebMD, "a migraine with aura may often come with symptoms that begin about 30 minutes or less before the headache. These early symptoms are called a prodrome.The prodrome or aura may last for five to 20 minutes, or it may continue even after the headache subsides. Symptoms of aura include:
  • blind spots or scotomas
  • blindness in half of your visual field in one or both eyes (hemianopsia)
  • seeing zigzag patterns (fortification)
  • seeing flashing lights (scintilla)
  • feeling prickling skin (paresthesia)
  • weakness
  • seeing things that aren't really there (hallucinations)"
Another term to describe migraine with aura is Alice in Wonderland Syndrome . Doctors don't understand why, but some migraine patients have hallucinations as a prelude to these debilitating headaches.

Have you been experiencing any of these symptoms? Or have you been experiencing cluster headaches ?

Please keep us posted on how you're doing and any more questions you may have!

Ciati; responded:
My Auras usually start as a small dot in my vision and continue to grow. As the Aura grows it looks like a kaleidoscope and eventually blocks my vision completely. When the Aura disappears, the headache begins!

DUKE MEDICINE
Timothy Collins, MD responded:
The list of symptoms Andie posted are a pretty good list for migraine aura.

A few of my cluster headache patients say they know one is about to start because they a "small pain" around their eye for a few minutes before it gets really severe.

Helpful Tips

Migraine Prevention MedicationsExpert
Which medications work for migraine prevention? This question comes up all the time, so I've made a list of some of the medications we use ... More
Was this Helpful?
79 of 107 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Pain Disorders Center